Update on ongoing connection/latency issues resulting from DDOS

• Are you sure, that losing players right after you got a bunch of new ones - is NOT "paying high price"?

Crane wrote:

fuck are you retaded, AWS is a HORRIBLE 'solution' for AO.

Do you like paying high prices? How about a linear scale based upon upscaling? LINEAR...

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MATH? LINEAR IS NOT WHAT ANY LONG TERM COMPANY WOULD PAY. FUCK

The post was edited 1 time, last by Evas_Flarelight ().

• Terrorcat wrote:

Are you sure, that losing players right after you got a bunch of new ones - is NOT "paying high price"?

Crane wrote:

Jesus fuck are you retaded, AWS is a HORRIBLE 'solution' for AO.

Do you like paying high prices? How about a linear scale based upon upscaling? LINEAR...

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MATH? LINEAR IS NOT WHAT ANY LONG TERM COMPANY WOULD PAY. FUCK

What do you mean, losing players?! The game has been gaining players even with the DDOS going on.
    mmo-population.com/r/albiononline

They need to split the player base with separate servers hosted in different countries, so when 1 server cluster goes down due to attacks, the other cluster can take up the slack and balance out the loads.
    They already have this technology in the game, currently.

If a cluster is hit, off load the population to a new cluster.
    Yea, the ping will be higher, but still playable.
    Once the cluster is not attacked, switch those players back to the cluster with the best ping for them.

The post was edited 2 times, last by L2MICRO ().

• Reloecc wrote:

Tychous wrote:

Just go regional servers, let the American wannabees have their own retard servers #LookatmeIamsuchaherocusIamAmerican
    Achievable just by dividing the ingame continents. Something like making the Cumbria and Mercia EU hosted. Not needed to seperate all community by regions..
    I don't know much about informatics, but if that could work, it seems a great idea to me. Split the regions equally between EU and America
  • Elorum wrote:

Get d/ced from ure server issues get booted off the expedition then get a timer couse "you left early" GG pro play!
    dont find a perma solution to this game breaking issue and ure not gona have a player base much longer

keep at it devs! you can do it!

albion Offline ftw!

cluntesia wrote:

Uccisore wrote:

So, basically it's a matter of SBI's current provider being shit about dealing with the DDOS, and they are too cheap to get a decent provider because they see this as a "short-term" problem and that would eat into their profits too much. They are shopping around for a different provider now since this once obviously sucks, but they have to price them and go through office politics. They would be better off just taking to monetary hit now. F2P is their last chance for the game and if this player base dies off like launch did cuz of the lag then the game will be in worse shape than ever.
    It's like you choose to not accept, or are too ignorant to know otherwise, that choosing a provider is a decision that has serious monetary and technical considerations.They rush an issue, this happens again, and lose people. They take their time and the attacks continue, and lose people.

I don't know about you, but it seems pretty obvious that the better business decision is to take the hit for now and make a consistently good experience for their users. Otherwise it's wash, rinse, repeat and the game gets a reputation for picking bad partners and having lag/technical issues all the time.
    it doesnt have a bad rep for having bad servers allready ?damn man what planet do u live on ?
    the game is almost unplayable atm , you cant do something for 15-20 mins with out lagging out
    maybee farming and fishing but i want to play albion not farmville and this aint zynga or facebook
    if i cant play the Rpg part i dont care about the MMOffline part as well and off i go along with my cash to another game
    and multiply that by a bunch of ppl and u start to have a dent in your profits
    so ye ure right in the choise part but uccisore is right 2

some of us premium multiple chars + buy gold + w/e we feel we dont have 2 much time to play and when we do we dont wana deal with this server issues
    thats what paying in an MMORPG used to = good servers
    Literally didn't say that. Nice mischaracterization. I'm saying if they do a quick fix, and this keeps happening it will be worse than if they take a longer time to fix it and it only happening once.

You literally proved my point when you wrote "dont find a perma solution to this game breaking issue and ure not gona have a player base much longer."

We can't have it both ways. Either we have a quick short term fix, or a long permanent fix.
  • Eltharyon wrote:

Dear Albion Community,

I'm here to update you on the state of the ongoing connection issues, the latency and sudden disconnects we're experiencing. Sadly, we have not yet found a solution, though it is not for a lack of trying. We've provided all information we have to our hosting partners and have been at their side the whole time, but so far we have no solution for the ongoing issues. From here we're doing three things:
    1. We'll continue to work on these issues with our current partners.
    2. We're looking into how to best compensate all players for the ongoing disruptions of gameplay. Any compensation will be announced and handed out AFTER the issues are resolved, however - since we want to ensure we find an appropriate compensation for the time period in which the problems persisted.
    3. We're actively looking into hosting alternatives and other partners to better deal with these problems in the future. The difficulty we're facing here is that many hosting companies are not too concerned with short term disruptions (as they typically deal with websites that can easily function with temporary connection issues), and fail to understand how crucial a continuous network connection is for a game service as ours. The other challenge here is that moving the entire infrastructure to a different partner is no simple feat and it has to be done carefully and correctly. Despite this, we've already found some potential partners, but this is more of a mid-term solution. That said, the work we’re putting in now will help us to be better prepared for similar attacks in the future.
    I will keep you posted and updated on further developments. We’re not satisfied until we can announce we’ve successfully dealt with this type of attack for good.

Sincerely,

Robin ‘Eltharyon’ Henkys
    Game Director

Unfortunately you have not been able to find the only viable solution: hire a host company able to protect the game from DDOS attacks.

I believe the main reason is the high cost that companies charge for the protection service (I can imagine that the value can easily reach $ 250.000,00 per month).

So I come to 3 conclusion:

1st) You create another way to raise money in the game to invest in a quality host that provides secure protection against DDOS attack.

You have already received several suggestions and surely have spent hours thinking how it would be possible to get more money from customers (players) without influencing the gameplay.

My contribution is the introduction of a visual cosmetics store (skins, add-ons,skills). You could create specific sets that when used together could release a new avatar and changes in the visual effects of the skills (such as the whirlwind spell that when triggered would release rays that would not influence the damage, only in the visual). As well as the introduction of pets who could collect the silver on the floor or increase the weight (capacity) of your character.

2nd) - Finding or waiting for a company that invests money, unfortunately I believe this option is distant (at this moment) since, you would have to sell part of the game to others and lose a certain autonomy and freedom (a great example was BlizzardNorth and we are seeing the poor results executives have taken over the years)

3rd) - Raising their hands in the air and hoping for DDOs to end, what's between us will not happen anytime soon as the perpetrators of these attacks are seeing quick results with the withdrawal (temporary or final) of several players. And above all they (who are attacking the server and we have no idea who they are - since they can be salesmen of gold disappointed with the intervention of yourselves or even companies of other games, competitors that have interest in the failure of Albion Online or until even enemies you have created and / or cultivated over time) know that today you have no ability to counter attack or even protect itself.

Finally some attitude needs to be taken, the apathy and the lack of attitude of you will be very expensive in the future

I wish you SBI people have faith, courage and enlightenment in choosing you regardless of the attitude you take, you will need it.

Good luck.

• L2MICRO wrote:

Terrorcat wrote:

Are you sure, that losing players right after you got a bunch of new ones - is NOT "paying high price"?

Crane wrote:

Jesus fuck are you retaded, AWS is a HORRIBLE 'solution' for AO.

What do you mean, losing players?! The game has been gaining players even with the DDOS going on.mmo-population.com/r/albiononline

They need to split the players base with separate servers hosted in different countries, so when 1 server cluster goes down due to attacks, they other cluster can take up the slack and balance out the loads.
    They already have this technology in the game, currently.

If a cluster is hit, off load the population to a new cluster.
    Glad to hear that population still grows, but "losing" may not mean, that population goes down. In our case, I tryed to say, that some players could decide to quit the game which is right now ... uh-h-h-h... can not guarantee to be playabe all the time. Losing growth rate is still losing, and it is critical for project like this. Plus personally my position is "quiting a game after a week-long issues is not an option", but if we replace "week" with "month" - my decision will change. Even if not many players quit Albion right now - population decline will accelerate, if problem remains.

What about balancer systems - it sounds like a fine solution, but a complicated one to deal with. Such architecture may cause database-sync issues, and that will take some time to solve, test and deploy. I doubt we want to wait that long.
  • AbSur wrote:

Eltharyon wrote:

Dear Albion Community,

I'm here to update you on the state of the ongoing connection issues, the latency and sudden disconnects we're experiencing. Sadly, we have not yet found a solution, though it is not for a lack of trying. We've provided all information we have to our hosting partners and have been at their side the whole time, but so far we have no solution for the ongoing issues. From here we're doing three things:
    2. We're looking into how to best compensate all players for the ongoing disruptions of gameplay. Any compensation will be announced and handed out AFTER the issues are resolved, however - since we want to ensure we find an appropriate compensation for the time period in which the problems persisted.
    3. We're actively looking into hosting alternatives and other partners to better deal with these problems in the future. The difficulty we're facing here is that many hosting companies are not too concerned with short term disruptions (as they typically deal with websites that can easily function with temporary connection issues), and fail to understand how crucial a continuous network connection is for a game service as ours. The other challenge here is that moving the entire infrastructure to a different partner is no simple feat and it has to be done carefully and correctly. Despite this, we've already found some potential partners, but this is more of a mid-term solution. That said, the work we’re putting in now will help us to be better prepared for similar attacks in the future.
    I will keep you posted and updated on further developments. We’re not satisfied until we can announce we’ve successfully dealt with this type of attack for good.

Sincerely,

Robin ‘Eltharyon’ Henkys
    Game Director
    2nd) - Finding or waiting for a company that invests money, unfortunately I believe this option is distant (at this moment) since, you would have to sell part of the game to others and lose a certain autonomy and freedom (a great example was BlizzardNorth and we are seeing the poor results executives have taken over the years)
    If I'm a betting man, most of their Board of Directors are made up of outside investors, so autonomy is already a "problem".
  • Well I am new here but from reading through all these comments I am certainly wondering if my just purchased three month sub was a good buy. I have been impressed so far - hence the sub - but I am obviously missing out on a few details. I certainly hope that Sandbox interactive gets this all solved quickly as my attempt to play this weekend has been mostly frustrating. Meanwhile I suppose I can entertain myself reading these forums - where did they mention the DDOS attacks?
    [img]http://lastvigil.com/images/Aelfrid-signature.jpg[/img]
  • Eltharyon wrote:

Dear Albion Community,

Sincerely,

Robin ‘Eltharyon’ Henkys
    Game Director
    Seriously look into GMCHosting.com they specialize in DDoS protection for game servers, I really think they would be able to help you guys out they have been providing protection to many communities with great success.
  • I'm starting to think there should be a huge warning in game, something like: "Beware, there is a Ddos attack going on. Don't go into BZ in prime time until it's solved." xD Could help not losing more players too because probably there are a lot who don't watch the forums and just think "duh, the game's performance is bad".

Anyway, thanks for the update post. Hopefully you'll find a solution soon that most are happy with. Another hosting company sounds like a good idea, at least to me.
  • Eltharyon wrote:

Dear Albion Community,

Sincerely,

Robin ‘Eltharyon’ Henkys
    Game Director
    A lot of people are going to act out irrationally, Eltharyon. I see them lashing out at mods, at the developers, etc. All the while that adds to the pressure that these "E-Terrorists" are already putting on you all. I really love this game, and that is not something that has happened since my early days of WoW, or Face of Mankind, those gems from back in the day. What we have here is golden, and I think all Devs and staff are doing a damned fine job. I appreciate the updates and how upfront you are about it all. I think we all in Albion will do fine, in time.
    You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength. - Marcus Aurelius
  • Scorphan wrote:

Eltharyon wrote:

will help us to be better prepared for similar attacks in the future.
    You don't have future if you dont deal with it quickly, all the f2p user will be gone in the "future".
    The curve is going down on steamchart already.
    To be frank, screw giving into the DDoS'er demands. We should not negotiate with terrorists. What Albion is, is an example as to why there needs to be a more formulated agency tasked with dealing with cyber crime. Imagine if a business was being hacked and their systems were shut down? That is a criminal offense, and ultimately the authorities would be involved, so too is this the case. This needs to be policed, and we need tech-savvy individuals who are able to root out these people and arrest them. For anyone blaming the Albion team, that is like blaming the owners and employees of a grocery store for being robbed and not pursuing and arresting the criminals themselves. Think of it this way, Sandbox Interactive are the gatherers and crafters, these DDoS'ers are gankers. Crafters and gatherers that are not geared for combat, need guards that are geared for it.
    You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength. - Marcus Aurelius

The post was edited 1 time, last by Evas_Flarelight ().

• Detalhes quando sera consertado esse problema de conexão ta muito dificil jogar assim os povo brasileiro já sofre com o ping que já não e um dos melhores.Algum resposta alguma solução tem que ser rapido vão deixar o jogo acabar por causa de
    DDOS bora coloca grana nessa parada inverte no jogo nao deixa morrer.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Aragorne ().