Swords need a rework

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Swords need a rework

      I think it's about time we had a serious conversation about the state of swords in this game. Currently swords are the worst weapon in the game , its getting so bad, that evetime I see a sword user in my group whether it be open world or arena I cringe.
      Devs please rework the sword skills and the passives , what we have now is weapon that seems to be in an identity crisis , is it a dps? support? or tank weapon?

      What I mean by this is that swords clearly have no unique playstyle , in fact it seems that who ever designed them initially wanted them to be a off tank dps weapon, and later changed them due to the same grievances I'm voicing now.evident by the fact that swords at one time had taunt as an ability and threat generation passive,What we have now is the lazy left over from that change and it needs to be addressed.

      1. The sword q skill - This skill basically may as well not exist it does such little damage it's almost funny, both variants the aoe and single target offer nothing to the team and to the user , the attack speed is useless without a modifier.Understand I'm not asking for buffs for this skill or any other skill in this tree, what I'm asking for is a total change in function, adding or buffing this skill wont solve the problem.

      2.The sword w skill - The entire spell line needs to be removed and replaced, every single skill is bad, especially Splitting slash, which does not belong on this type of weapon, its clunky and does little damage with a tiny hit box.Iron will back when it gave you a heroic charge was pretty good , it fit the sword archetype perfectly, now its garbage and needs to be reworked again. Hamstring is useless , unless the other abilities on the sword become useful.Who cares if you can slow a target if all you do is peanut damage to them they will just ignore you.You wanna know why hamstring worked so well in games like wow? its because the warrior had access to other deadly skills that made it worth using.last but certainly not least is interrupt skill. Why oh why is this skill on this weapon? if the jest of the sword is that it good at disrupting spell cast then make it so that when a sword user disrupts a spell cast its deadly to the caster, it should not be as non threatening as a tanks interrupt skill, this skill requires reaction time from the player reward them for it.

      3.The e skill - This is the bread and butter for all swords, and yet for some reason they all appear to share the same bugs of doing no damage at time minus the relic weapon, once a sword user uses his e ability you may as well go afk in the fight because your now useless to your team, the only thing I can suggest with the abilities is fix the bugs and increase the base line damage of one stack to at least 400.


      4.The god awful passives - seriously it's like you guys didn't even try here, to be fair this is just an example of the swords being the product of a confused design, there is no particular direction here so even the passives are lost and have no idea what this weapon is. They all need a rework its that simple.

      Please don't let this thread get buried like the other sword threads , we have been dealing with this since beta 1, there needs to be change asap, and with the release of f2p more and more players will start seeing these glaring design flaws, and its not just this weapon line that can use some more focus/purpose. but this is just the one that needs immediate changes because its soo bad. swords users are basically flies buzzing around the battlefield being annoying and ultimately useless.
    • moking wrote:

      Currently swords are the worst weapon in the game , its getting so bad, that evetime I see a sword user in my group whether it be open world or arena I cringe.
      Swords are awesome... they kick ass...literally!

      moking wrote:

      Devs please rework the sword skills and the passives , what we have now is weapon that seems to be in an identity crisis , is it a dps? support? or tank weapon?
      haven't you learned that "tank" or "DPS" or "support" completely depends on your entire gear set, and not just a weapon? Meaning you could tank or DPS with swords, just like you could with axes or maces or hammers - all depending on your entire set (the big picture)
    • 3 replies that offer zero explanation or counterpoint or argument at all really, other than just jumping straight to flaming OP. Soon we'll regress to the eve online point where every suggestion thread will have a simple "No." with the full stop and capital N and everything, with 3 - 5 likes from the same group of people.

      On the other side, OP decides that the best way to give feedback is to call the devs lazy, say their decisions are garbage and accuse them of not even trying. I suggest you delete this thread and try again.
    • fip wrote:

      3 replies that offer zero explanation or counterpoint or argument at all really, other than just jumping straight to flaming OP. Soon we'll regress to the eve online point where every suggestion thread will have a simple "No." with the full stop and capital N and everything, with 3 - 5 likes from the same group of people.

      On the other side, OP decides that the best way to give feedback is to call the devs lazy, say their decisions are garbage and accuse them of not even trying. I suggest you delete this thread and try again.
      well I was going to tell OP that burden of proof is on him, but TBH:
      a) I felt too lazy to breakdown the entire sword line for the OP - for the zillionth time
      b) I've been through too many of these threads (hence why I felt lazy) to argue with another noob again, and the "forum warrioring arguments" can go on for pages, and videos is the only way to prove it. Currently I personally (personally on my Youtube that is) don't have videos of swords being awesome, but I've seen plenty, and I know swords are fine
      c) I felt too lazy to do the "OP's homework" and Google sword videos for him - he can do it himself.

      TLDR: No. Swords are fine.
    • Captainrussia wrote:

      fip wrote:

      3 replies that offer zero explanation or counterpoint or argument at all really, other than just jumping straight to flaming OP. Soon we'll regress to the eve online point where every suggestion thread will have a simple "No." with the full stop and capital N and everything, with 3 - 5 likes from the same group of people.

      On the other side, OP decides that the best way to give feedback is to call the devs lazy, say their decisions are garbage and accuse them of not even trying. I suggest you delete this thread and try again.
      well I was going to tell OP that burden of proof is on him, but TBH:a) I felt too lazy to breakdown the entire sword line for the OP - for the zillionth time
      b) I've been through too many of these threads (hence why I felt lazy) to argue with another noob again, and the "forum warrioring arguments" can go on for pages, and videos is the only way to prove it. Currently I personally (personally on my Youtube that is) don't have videos of swords being awesome, but I've seen plenty, and I know swords are fine
      c) I felt too lazy to do the "OP's homework" and Google sword videos for him - he can do it himself.

      TLDR: No. Swords are fine.
      If you're too lazy to comment, then don't comment. "No" doesn't help anyone and grows to be worse than useless.
    • Sword line has 3 awesome artifact weapons. Honestly, I never used the other swords. Clarent is cheap and fun weapon!

      Swords does nearly same damage as axes and it has utility... I remember I asked once what is the baseline weapon that other weapons are balanced against. So to understand what weapons might get buffed/nerfed in the future. If I don't remember wrong it was Clarent Blade back then. Maybe still?

      I do get the point. If you are in a random pick up group and the only tank is using a sword, you might be thinking that you are screwed...

      tldr: It is a fun weapon. I hear very much used in GvG, but probably not popular in random pve groups?

      PS: just recently there was a video of dual swords taking down a (command?) mammoth...
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • moking wrote:

      lmao don't start that you are what you wear crap with me, contrary to my title I've been here since the beginning I can assure you gear combinations are not an excuse for poor weapon design.
      So why ur acc is from april 2k19 when the game was way before this date and you're telling us you're here since the beginning hello?

      Identity crisis hello? The sword plays around heroic charges, which gives movement speed which basically makes you unkitable. The identity is quite clear, you're a character that charges through the ennemy without fear.

      I can understand that some spells are underutilised because others gives you way more utility / options and need some love but telling us that the whole sword line (every spells and passive) need to be changed cuz identity crisis? hello?

      fip wrote:

      3 replies that offer zero explanation or counterpoint or argument at all really, other than just jumping straight to flaming OP. Soon we'll regress to the eve online point where every suggestion thread will have a simple "No." with the full stop and capital N and everything, with 3 - 5 likes from the same group of people.
      We don't offer explanation for newcommers that just whine of a weapon base without real time investment of testing the weapon simple (most of the time they doesn't understand the game and are uncomfortable with the weapon). If the post was made from somebody who is on the game for a long time with background and testing the answers would be very VERY different.
    • Owlsane wrote:

      We don't offer explanation for newcommers that just whine of a weapon base without real time investment of testing the weapon simple (most of the time they doesn't understand the game and are uncomfortable with the weapon). If the post was made from somebody who is on the game for a long time with background and testing the answers would be very VERY different.
      How unflinchingly arrogant. If you aren't going to offer anything constructive or explain your position, then don't post. it's painful to see this cycle repeat itself.
    • moking wrote:

      I think it's about time we had a serious conversation about the state of swords in this game. Currently swords are the worst weapon in the game , its getting so bad, that evetime I see a sword user in my group whether it be open world or arena I cringe.
      Devs please rework the sword skills and the passives , what we have now is weapon that seems to be in an identity crisis , is it a dps? support? or tank weapon?

      What I mean by this is that swords clearly have no unique playstyle , in fact it seems that who ever designed them initially wanted them to be a off tank dps weapon, and later changed them due to the same grievances I'm voicing now.evident by the fact that swords at one time had taunt as an ability and threat generation passive,What we have now is the lazy left over from that change and it needs to be addressed.

      1. The sword q skill - This skill basically may as well not exist it does such little damage it's almost funny, both variants the aoe and single target offer nothing to the team and to the user , the attack speed is useless without a modifier.Understand I'm not asking for buffs for this skill or any other skill in this tree, what I'm asking for is a total change in function, adding or buffing this skill wont solve the problem.

      2.The sword w skill - The entire spell line needs to be removed and replaced, every single skill is bad, especially Splitting slash, which does not belong on this type of weapon, its clunky and does little damage with a tiny hit box.Iron will back when it gave you a heroic charge was pretty good , it fit the sword archetype perfectly, now its garbage and needs to be reworked again. Hamstring is useless , unless the other abilities on the sword become useful.Who cares if you can slow a target if all you do is peanut damage to them they will just ignore you.You wanna know why hamstring worked so well in games like wow? its because the warrior had access to other deadly skills that made it worth using.last but certainly not least is interrupt skill. Why oh why is this skill on this weapon? if the jest of the sword is that it good at disrupting spell cast then make it so that when a sword user disrupts a spell cast its deadly to the caster, it should not be as non threatening as a tanks interrupt skill, this skill requires reaction time from the player reward them for it.

      3.The e skill - This is the bread and butter for all swords, and yet for some reason they all appear to share the same bugs of doing no damage at time minus the relic weapon, once a sword user uses his e ability you may as well go afk in the fight because your now useless to your team, the only thing I can suggest with the abilities is fix the bugs and increase the base line damage of one stack to at least 400.


      4.The god awful passives - seriously it's like you guys didn't even try here, to be fair this is just an example of the swords being the product of a confused design, there is no particular direction here so even the passives are lost and have no idea what this weapon is. They all need a rework its that simple.

      Please don't let this thread get buried like the other sword threads , we have been dealing with this since beta 1, there needs to be change asap, and with the release of f2p more and more players will start seeing these glaring design flaws, and its not just this weapon line that can use some more focus/purpose. but this is just the one that needs immediate changes because its soo bad. swords users are basically flies buzzing around the battlefield being annoying and ultimately useless.
      I tried taking your post seriously, but when I was trying to address your points I realised there is no context, you offer no insight except ''This bad, this not good, this useless, this garbage, this not funny''. No unique play style? Which other weapon line has the same play style of swords?

      You give zero context about in which situations they are useless; Solo? ZvZ? Mid scale? Diving? You bring Arenas as an example, this makes me cringe much more than you cringing at arena players with swords.

      Make an effort and people will make an effort to reply back, you reap what you sow.


      edit: What is your sword spec?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by DildoSwaggings ().

    • If discussing weapon design requires context then that's bad weapon design, you shouldn't be designing weapons around situations , you should be designing weapons with the intention of making a good weapon. Hence the reason why I called the devs the lazy , I know from first hand experience how ignorant this community is when it comes to positive much needed changes to the game, the fact that you morons think that swords are fine contrary to the statists that have been discussed since beta, and you can find countless threads on this issue which go into better detail in terms of numbers. But the numbers approach does not work because the current design of swords are fundemtaly flawed.

      "Make an effort and people will make an effort to reply back, you reap what you sow" - you either cant read or your expecting to hold your hand, my post is clearly about the weapon itself and its core design, for example when I call splitting slash useless and clunky. this is a sentiment shared by the entire sword community you wont see single sword user use this skill unless they are trolling or don't know better, and yet it requires a ton of fame to reach its unlock point. which is beyond telling, that the devs were just checking boxes when they designed swords.

      if any new players are reading this let this be an example as to what the community is like, it has been this way before the f2p launch and as a result the majority of the player base left the game, devs only listen to the whales and the moronic round table. I can assure you as I've said I have been here since the beginning.,
    • moking wrote:

      If discussing weapon design requires context then that's bad weapon design, you shouldn't be designing weapons around situations , you should be designing weapons with the intention of making a good weapon. Hence the reason why I called the devs the lazy , I know from first hand experience how ignorant this community is when it comes to positive much needed changes to the game, the fact that you morons think that swords are fine contrary to the statists that have been discussed since beta, and you can find countless threads on this issue which go into better detail in terms of numbers. But the numbers approach does not work because the current design of swords are fundemtaly flawed.

      "Make an effort and people will make an effort to reply back, you reap what you sow" - you either cant read or your expecting to hold your hand, my post is clearly about the weapon itself and its core design, for example when I call splitting slash useless and clunky. this is a sentiment shared by the entire sword community you wont see single sword user use this skill unless they are trolling or don't know better, and yet it requires a ton of fame to reach its unlock point. which is beyond telling, that the devs were just checking boxes when they designed swords.

      if any new players are reading this let this be an example as to what the community is like, it has been this way before the f2p launch and as a result the majority of the player base left the game, devs only listen to the whales and the moronic round table. I can assure you as I've said I have been here since the beginning.
      So what's your sword specs bro?

      Low effort post, low effort replies... And by this reply you showed us all that you know nothing about the game despite having played since Betas, way to go.

      So mature calling all of us morons btw, pretty much sums up your post

      The post was edited 5 times, last by DildoSwaggings ().

    • calling a post low effort because you cant read , or don't like bad words lmao. Seriously you're low effort replies were predicted that's why I made an effort to mention the thread eventually being buried like the other sword threads . And yes you guys are morons, you inteionally ignoring what I posted, chose to belittle my opinions because my account says recruit, and your dumb ass is still asking me for my specs as if though that invalidates or validates something that is soo easily observable that many threads have already been made on the issue.

      "clap clap"

      Not a single one of you have refuted anything in my initial post. And you wonder why I'm calling you guys morons . Hell even in my response post you couldn't refute anything, so your attempt to call it low effort seems to be an obvious deflection to the issues I pointed out. So please try again with some effort.
    • fip wrote:

      How unflinchingly arrogant. If you aren't going to offer anything constructive or explain your position, then don't post. it's painful to see this cycle repeat itself.
      you yourself made 3 posts in this thread offering 0 context or anything constructive in regards to OPs problem - you only criticized the people who are criticizing the OP (see what you did there?)

      so at best you are a hypocrite, at worst - you're proliferating the same problem you are arguing against - providing 0 feedback and criticizing others (who maybe, just maybe know things a bit better looking at their reputation on forums and in-game?)


      moking wrote:

      If discussing weapon design requires context then that's bad weapon design
      Discussing each and every one of the 80+ weapons in the game requires context. Each weapon branch has 6 diff weapons, each for a different situation. Its how the game was designed - its by design. Solution: learn the game mechanics.

      moking wrote:

      you shouldn't be designing weapons around situations
      Each weapon branch has 6 diff weapons, each for a different situation. This is exactly how the weapons were designed. Thats the whole point. Solution: learn the game concept.

      moking wrote:

      you should be designing weapons with the intention of making a good weapon
      Of course we all want good weapons, its called balance, or "balancing" the weapons (and all gear, respectively). Solution: learn what the good weapons are, then come back to this thread and show us some examples of your "good weapons" vs sword. Tell us how sword is "bad" in comparison with these "good weapons".

      moking wrote:

      I can assure you as I've said I have been here since the beginning.,
      Looking for some proofs at this point...


      Let this post sink in. I'd like to hear some feedback from you now - on what you think good/bad weapons are, and how the game should be designed.

      PS. Whats your sword spec?