Types of Armor?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• They each have different attack damage % modifiers and armor values. Generally speaking, will all the armors you either get more armor/defense/cc-resist or you get higher attack/healing/damage modifiers.

Check out
      docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d…8GX7m7w/edit#gid=21069282
      for a rough guideline (don't know if the values have been updated with latest patch info, but it will give you an idea of the order of "More Tankey <--> More DPSey")
    • Hey @Swordbreaker925, welcome to Albion Online.

So I will go over a few basics to get you caught up to speed with how the armor system works. As you noticed there are three basic types of armor in each material tree, you have three cloths, three leathers and in your case three plate armors.

Cloth armor's deal the most damage but offer the less protections, Plate adds the least bonus damage but offers best protection and leather just falls somewhere in the middle.

I'm just going to go over the Plate armor for now since that's what you asked for. Aside from the armors granting more protection or damage, they also each have a unique ability which can alter the playstyle and their use on the field.

Soldier Armor -> This is the least tanky plate armor. It offers you a bit of bonus damage but on top of that its special ability [Fury] allows you to gain damage stacks as you are attacked. These damage stacks can allow you to do a few quick high damage attacks while maintaining that tankiness that comes with plate armor. Soldier armor is often times used for bruiser roles and you will see people utilizing weapons such as the Halberd, Dual Swords and Galantine pair. Basically this armor is suited to allow a player to dive into the middle of a group, tank some damage while building up their own damage and then do a quick burst and get out.

Knight Armor -> The knight armor is more for peeling. Its a fairly tanky armor which is only surpassed by the Guardian Armor. The special on Knight armor is [Windwall] This ability creates a wall of wind infront of you which pushes enemies back when it first appears and from then on will continue to knock back foes that try to pass through it for a few seconds. Its a good armor for a tank to use when you might also require some method to divide your team from enemies giving chase. Peeling people back or blocking a choke point. (Windwall is countered by spells such as the knight helm's displacement immunity, soldier helm block spell, or dodge roll from the assassin shoes and I think a few other spells)

Guardian Armor -> This is the tankiest armor in the game atleast based on its passive bonus's. Its special is [Enfeeble Aura] which creates a 7m arura around you that slows enemies inside of it by 15% and reduces their damage by 60%. In short its meant to mitigate damage output of your foes but another nice perk to it is that it will reveal invisible players that happen to be inside of it at the time of casting the aura. This is a good ability to have since a few dive builds utilize invisibility to try and sneak into the backline.

Most of your main tanks you will see using Guardian armor to increase their chance of survival. Its commonly seen with Grovekeeper's who run the front line.

When it comes to choosing which of the three armors to use it really depends on what sort of role you plan. If you want to dive in to weaken / damage / or cause a bit of chaos then soldier armor often fills that role. If your goal is to hold the front line and be a main engager then often times the Guardian armor is best. If you want to support the front line while also helping to peel off foes during a retreat then Knight armor is what you will see. The soulsythe is often seen paired up with the knight armor since they typically remain near the front line to cast tornado.

I hope a lot of this helps and there are many players out there that can likely explain much more.
    • New

DoomRawrus wrote:

Hey @Swordbreaker925, welcome to Albion Online.

So I will go over a few basics to get you caught up to speed with how the armor system works. As you noticed there are three basic types of armor in each material tree, you have three cloths, three leathers and in your case three plate armors.

Cloth armor's deal the most damage but offer the less protections, Plate adds the least bonus damage but offers best protection and leather just falls somewhere in the middle.

I'm just going to go over the Plate armor for now since that's what you asked for. Aside from the armors granting more protection or damage, they also each have a unique ability which can alter the playstyle and their use on the field.

Soldier Armor -> This is the least tanky plate armor. It offers you a bit of bonus damage but on top of that its special ability [Fury] allows you to gain damage stacks as you are attacked. These damage stacks can allow you to do a few quick high damage attacks while maintaining that tankiness that comes with plate armor. Soldier armor is often times used for bruiser roles and you will see people utilizing weapons such as the Halberd, Dual Swords and Galantine pair. Basically this armor is suited to allow a player to dive into the middle of a group, tank some damage while building up their own damage and then do a quick burst and get out.

Knight Armor -> The knight armor is more for peeling. Its a fairly tanky armor which is only surpassed by the Guardian Armor. The special on Knight armor is [Windwall] This ability creates a wall of wind infront of you which pushes enemies back when it first appears and from then on will continue to knock back foes that try to pass through it for a few seconds. Its a good armor for a tank to use when you might also require some method to divide your team from enemies giving chase. Peeling people back or blocking a choke point. (Windwall is countered by spells such as the knight helm's displacement immunity, soldier helm block spell, or dodge roll from the assassin shoes and I think a few other spells)

Guardian Armor -> This is the tankiest armor in the game atleast based on its passive bonus's. Its special is [Enfeeble Aura] which creates a 7m arura around you that slows enemies inside of it by 15% and reduces their damage by 60%. In short its meant to mitigate damage output of your foes but another nice perk to it is that it will reveal invisible players that happen to be inside of it at the time of casting the aura. This is a good ability to have since a few dive builds utilize invisibility to try and sneak into the backline.

Most of your main tanks you will see using Guardian armor to increase their chance of survival. Its commonly seen with Grovekeeper's who run the front line.

When it comes to choosing which of the three armors to use it really depends on what sort of role you plan. If you want to dive in to weaken / damage / or cause a bit of chaos then soldier armor often fills that role. If your goal is to hold the front line and be a main engager then often times the Guardian armor is best. If you want to support the front line while also helping to peel off foes during a retreat then Knight armor is what you will see. The soulsythe is often seen paired up with the knight armor since they typically remain near the front line to cast tornado.

I hope a lot of this helps and there are many players out there that can likely explain much more.
      Thanks! That does a great job answering all of my questions.

So, since i'm a plate armor guy, if i were to go with a dual wield build rather than a 2h build (halberd, greataxe etc), what off-hand weapons are good for melee plate-armor characters? I'm thinking i'll go for soldier armor, so probably not a shield i would guess. I just dont know what the off-hands really do.
    • New

from what i understand so far is only the body armor defines clearly your playstyle
      leather gives atk speed,
      cloth gives overall damage and heal
      plate gives damage reduction and the skill taunt and aggro generation.

What you wear besides the body armor is just complementary to your playstyle.

The had a question about skill on armor? click on the small arrow on the item description pop up window to see them.