[May 10th] We've fixed Hellgates! [Updated May 11th]

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lifestealer wrote:

I don't understand the intended changes and the purpose it brings.

If you (SBI) wants hell gates to be contested more AND also make it more accessible for everyone including PUGs that have different city locks, why not just make hell gates ONLY spawn in the Royal Continent?

With that small change, city locks won't matter and the zone pool will be smaller. This will force players to stay in royal continent

The only downside to this is that same guild/same alliance members won't be able to attack each other in the forced flag PvP Zone (the circles around Hellgates in Royal Continent)
      That hell gates are harder to find was not intentional but an unintended side effect of the mid season patch.
    • Was excited to try this today, but after 1,5-2 hours of running around on a T3 horse finding 2 empty hellgates and 1 hellgate with 4.1 people I decided to go back to my personal island and do nothing. Why do you keep making these weird changes? Isn't it a lot easier to allow 5-man parties to walk to a Hellgate spot and a popup comes up 'Do you want to enter the Hellgate'? Why are these things on a timer? It's very poor game design. What do you think would happen if League of Legends, DOTA2 or HOTS suddenly decided that you can only play one game every hour? Leave this choice to the players, let everyone do what they want to do...
    • Korn wrote:

Lifestealer wrote:

I don't understand the intended changes and the purpose it brings.

If you (SBI) wants hell gates to be contested more AND also make it more accessible for everyone including PUGs that have different city locks, why not just make hell gates ONLY spawn in the Royal Continent?

With that small change, city locks won't matter and the zone pool will be smaller. This will force players to stay in royal continent

The only downside to this is that same guild/same alliance members won't be able to attack each other in the forced flag PvP Zone (the circles around Hellgates in Royal Continent)
      That hell gates are harder to find was not intentional but an unintended side effect of the mid season patch.

I look forward to the fix then.

Thank you for looking into this issue.
      hit em with a slide
    • Thank you for the feedback everyone.

We have already noticed a big increase in the amount of players playing in Hellgates with today's adjustment, however, the amount of players running HGs is still slightly lower than before Oberon Patch #5. After discussion with developers, we are planning on vastly increasing the limit of the number of Hellgates spawning. We will be deploying this change with tomorrow's maintenance.
    • I stumbled on this and I just want to say. GO TO LESS POPULATED ZONES. Me and my cousin were doing 2v2 hell gates last night. We were literally finding and completing 2 hell gates every half hour, sometimes 3. There were about 4 times we finished a hell gate and upon exiting, There was another bat to spawn a portal, immediately. The most downtime we faced was if we died or had to run to town to empty our inventories.
    • Yo Korn,

thanks for taking care of the hg updates and monitoring afterwards to see the results.

Quick question, will there ever be a point where you would implement an instanced hell gate system that is only accessible from the open world hellgate boss spawn location.

Fixed like an Arena que, cancelled when in combat.

where you gain 1/5th of the experience

no pve loot

if there was a way to mimmick the players inventory + equipped items with the same trash percentage to be placed in a chest after the instanced hg is cleared

as i write this out, i realize this would take away from your roaming to the next hg group but it would force those t4 fame farm groups to roam instead of queing for the instanced ones and crush two birds with one stone by allowing the "more pvp" bound hellgaters to face a fight instantly.
      twitch.tv/persiansohrab
      400/400 Fire Mage Spec
      400/400 Cloth Robe Crafter
    • The problem is 2 fold...

A. If you spawn more hell gates then there will be more ways for players to enter.
      B. If there are insufficient players to enter then hell gates will lead to more encounters with a no-show opponent

Basic issue with game systems that require synchronized play.

Suggestion: Keep current design of the bat and portals... but instead of a static channel to enter make it require that you channel the gate and that is the match making process. You may have to channel for 2 seconds you may have to channel for 20. During this time it is looking for someone for you to fight. At a certain point it may let you enter without finding an opponent still so you have the thrill of guessing whether you got an enemy or not.

Also increase the despawn time for gate itself so if you are in a royal you have time to fight around the gate.

I assume that they have it coded in a way that the portal links to another on time of spawn and implementing my above suggestion would require a hefty rewrite.
    • Laserbeam wrote:

Suggestion: Keep current design of the bat and portals... but instead of a static channel to enter make it require that you channel the gate and that is the match making process. You may have to channel for 2 seconds you may have to channel for 20. During this time it is looking for someone for you to fight. At a certain point it may let you enter without finding an opponent still so you have the thrill of guessing whether you got an enemy or not.

Also increase the despawn time for gate itself so if you are in a royal you have time to fight around the gate.

Would only work if you were invulnerable or invisible during the channel, or you going to be channeling for 2 minutes in a "matchmaking system" while people come and gank you and you leave the matchmaking. And then you join again, and get ganked again, you can't "matchmake" in the open world. I don't think this would work at all.

They could for example get the loot to be lower if the other party did not enter their portal. But I personally don't see an issue with "no encounter hellgates", it's a PvE/PvP activity, it's hybrid, sometimes the opponent doesn't show up, did he get ganked outside his portal? did he opened it too early? fought around it and it disappeared? It doesn't matter, he kind of failed, right? Oponnent didn't manage to get into it? Free loot/fame for you.
    • Why cant you just increase hellgate spawn timers? These are one of the best introduced changes in the last year because we finally got small-scale pvp for everyone. Unfortunately its such a hassle to even find and get into a hellgate. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes, like today, I checked multiple areas for 1 hour and couldnt find a single hg, even waited at some. The challenge should be the hellgate itself, not getting into one. @Korn
    • Yes, you fixed it, roughly as it was before..

and i am happy that it is no more screwed up

nevertheless, you still wait 10 mins on average for a gate

riding around is not that cool because if people stand before and wait the 10 mins you will not be there exactly at the moment it pops

i am happy, but i don't understand the wait time of 10 mins..what is the intention behind???
    • what i not understand, as i did think i have understood the mechanics, but why on earth is the respawn times increasing, trippling at prime time if most gates are done?

i did think there is a pool of X amount of hg alive, if more are done, they respawn faster..

fact is all day at prime time the respawn is tripple as around server reboot

can dev explain this mechanics?