Portal Lock system has no reason to exist, or add more versatility to it.

    • Portal Lock system has no reason to exist, or add more versatility to it.

      Right now, if I'm locked with Martlock portal and my guild is doing a move on zone near a Fort Sterling portal I have to mount up and cross the whole continent to get there. Why is this lock system so stiff? Why can't we get a reset of locks every week?

      Right now I want to explore the new continent but that is out of the question because I have to play horse simulator for hours because of my lock (already used my free reset because we needed people for ZvZ, so there goes nothing... )

      Can someone explain the reasons why the lock system is so unforgiving and hardcore? Why did it work fine for years through the Realmgate?
    • Yes maybe it is working without problems for guilds that own territories on a specific area, or are part of an alliance that spans over two or three BZ portals. But smaller guilds have much problem roaming "fast" from area to area. So can one of you actually explain the benefit of this system? Because all I see is "we don't want people to do what they want and break our fragile servers so we add blocks in their sandbox"

      also @paxprobellum I have no idea what you mean? Why my post is proof that the system works? You mean technically? Or are you trolling? Or maybe you can't simply express yourself through written (typed) medium?
    • McDobs wrote:

      Yes maybe it is working without problems for guilds that own territories on a specific area, or are part of an alliance that spans over two or three BZ portals. But smaller guilds have much problem roaming "fast" from area to area. So can one of you actually explain the benefit of this system? Because all I see is "we don't want people to do what they want and break our fragile servers so we add blocks in their sandbox"

      also @paxprobellum I have no idea what you mean? Why my post is proof that the system works? You mean technically? Or are you trolling? Or maybe you can't simply express yourself through written (typed) medium?
      Explain the reason why the small guild should spread its forces and move across 3 BZ continents? What the point?
    • Mage raiding, ganking, freedom to gather since a small guild might not own a territorry, help out alliance located on another portal-lock, etc etc...

      Now please explain why a small-medium-any guild or individual should NOT be able to freely roam between portals (ofc after resetting in some way), and I'm not saying let player reset daily or as many times as possible, but at least let them reset each week and definitely before season resets.
    • You have to look at the larger picture McDobs.

      Before locks mega alliance could control all three continents by jumping portals / resetting locks with home plots. You could literally fight a castle in Mercia and change locks to Anglia in less than 5 minutes with the old system.

      If you can't see why portal locks were needed you don't understand deep enough the mechanics and logistics of this game yet.

      Your argument should be to decrease the lock timeout to maybe 2 weeks. Anything less then your going to get mega alliance switching locks every sunday to control the castle loot.
    • McDobs wrote:

      Mage raiding, ganking, freedom to gather since a small guild might not own a territorry, help out alliance located on another portal-lock, etc etc...

      Now please explain why a small-medium-any guild or individual should NOT be able to freely roam between portals (ofc after resetting in some way), and I'm not saying let player reset daily or as many times as possible, but at least let them reset each week and definitely before season resets.
      I will explain it to you. Without the lock system, one large guild could take over all the continents.

      Now, you ask, why not put the restriction only to big guilds?It is simply inefficient code wise. It would cause many problems, and it would be pretty hard.

      Anoter reason is that the current system creates content for gankers.

      Now, why not give 1 week reset you ask? 1 week is still too little time. Big guilds have alliances. They could still coordinate attack in other continents. Now, if they have to wait 30 days, thats a lot. It forces guilds to commit to just one continent.

      Also you simply have no reason at all to be roaming all blackzone. If you want to gather or do dungeons, choose one.
    • McDobs wrote:



      also @paxprobellum I have no idea what you mean? Why my post is proof that the system works? You mean technically? Or are you trolling? Or maybe you can't simply express yourself through written (typed) medium?

      Others have explained, but I'll just note that the reason you posted was because you used a portal to participate in a ZvZ on one continent and felt inconvenienced by being unable to get to a different continent. That's the whole point of the system.
    • Large alliances just have alt chars bound to other portals. It's literally a requirement. It doesn't prevent much, if if nothing other than a slight inconvenience of having to fame up an alt in ZvZ gear

      I personally think it was a poor solution since it is aimed at preventing alliances from traveling across continents easily, yet it effects everyone, including people who are not in an alliance.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Dethsesh ().

    • Dethsesh wrote:

      Large alliances just have alt chars bound to other portals. It's literally a requirement. It doesn't prevent much, if if nothing other than a slight inconvenience of having to fame up an alt in ZvZ gear

      I personally think it was a poor solution since it is aimed at preventing alliances from traveling across continents easily, yet it effects everyone, including people who are not in an alliance.
      You forget about all the logistics implied / complications given by the new system to "just have alts".
      New system is working pretty well, it's annoying but I like it since it allows more locality.
    • Explain this: SQUAD is a mercia alliance that maintains mercia presence, fights with OOPS and bases out of caerleon. So with that in mind, how did they amass a gigantic blob of around 60 members and overwhelm the EGO forces attempting to take the castle in west anglia at creag rudd today?

      The answer: they allied a large west anglian br guild (Inmortal) and reinforced it with their br alts (Made in alts) as well. Since the beginning of the season, SQUAD has maintained a solid grip on every castle, and even with the map expansion, still maintain a good grip on the added castles.

      Eve online also has this problem, in which sure, people are generally location locked to where they have their assets and have set their respawn points - however, alliances simply ally with people across the map until a "blue doughnut" forms and the fighting settles between two or three large alliances. We now see the same problem emerge in albion, now that people cant get around, they use both alts and ally with locals, until no one can contest them.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by fip ().

    • On the above post note, if everyone was allowed traveling more freely (not totally freely), then the large alliances could find themselves with opposition, now everyone just stays put on their own areas (or none if they have none) and look the other children play... also some people don't have the ability or desire to maintain alts (time, money, drive). Those people are screwed badly by this system...
    • fip wrote:

      Explain this: SQUAD is a mercia alliance that maintains mercia presence, fights with OOPS and bases out of caerleon. So with that in mind, how did they amass a gigantic blob of around 60 members and overwhelm the EGO forces attempting to take the castle in west anglia at creag rudd today?

      The answer: they allied a large west anglian br guild (Inmortal) and reinforced it with their br alts (Made in alts) as well. Since the beginning of the season, SQUAD has maintained a solid grip on every castle, and even with the map expansion, still maintain a good grip on the added castles.

      Eve online also has this problem, in which sure, people are generally location locked to where they have their assets and have set their respawn points - however, alliances simply ally with people across the map until a "blue doughnut" forms and the fighting settles between two or three large alliances. We now see the same problem emerge in albion, now that people cant get around, they use both alts and ally with locals, until no one can contest them.
      Would you prefer to face 60 Blue Army on their Main or 60 Immortal + MiBr alts?
      If you think they are both the same, you're damn wrong.

      McDobs wrote:

      On the above post note, if everyone was allowed traveling more freely (not totally freely), then the large alliances could find themselves with opposition, now everyone just stays put on their own areas (or none if they have none) and look the other children play... also some people don't have the ability or desire to maintain alts (time, money, drive). Those people are screwed badly by this system...
      Time has proven that people do not try to face big alliances with their full forces. Its just free real estate at that point