Intended game mechanic? Seems flawed.

• Intended game mechanic? Seems flawed.

Right, so..

There is a warning message when you enter a realmgate that states "once you enter, you are bound".. so as a new player that seems fairly logical, you are bound to that gate once you go through, it's a good warning message, it makes sense, it tells you what happens when you go in the gate.

But here in lies the problem, what you DON'T know as a new player is that there are certain regions of the BZ that are entirely dominated by certain alliances/guilds, so now I'm bound to a gate and I've tried running to a new realmgate a couple of times with no success, I don't feel i should have to leave my current guild and join the guild that dominates the area just to go through it, and I don't expect my guild to put their necks out to help me get to the realm gate I want.

So my question is this, why is this an in game mechanic, why is there not a count down timer on resetting your bound realm gate, like once a week or something you can change it, this is incredibly frustrating, particularly as a new player without knowledge of in game politics.

Devs, I implore you to help me.

Thanks much

Elsomethingi
    • Couple things. First with the new patch this will be adding a 30 day lock so you will have the option once a month to change without making the run. Second you should not die in the black zone that often especially when just simply traveling. If so you need to take advantage of bubbles and not take obvious direct travel paths such as roads etc. Fast mount helps as well if your intent is just traveling.
    • Part of being a newbie is learning. Learn from how you died previously and adapt. Portal zones will have high traffic especially if you are in one of the zerg alliance owned areas (which is the vast majority). Use your bubble to get some distance from the gate campers and from there avoid chokes and obvious road travel paths. Once you get by the portal zone danger level drops drastically but still follow the same logic of avoid obvious roads to reduce risk.
    • Tabor wrote:

Part of being a newbie is learning. Learn from how you died previously and adapt. Portal zones will have high traffic especially if you are in one of the zerg alliance owned areas (which is the vast majority). Use your bubble to get some distance from the gate campers and from there avoid chokes and obvious road travel paths. Once you get by the portal zone danger level drops drastically but still follow the same logic of avoid obvious roads to reduce risk.
      That seems a little patronizing.

My strategy so far has been to go through the realmgate (no gear, just a donkey/horse) and ride toward the exit, along the way I always encounter people who are dedicated to ganking people trying to travel through, if i ride through the rough the NPCs attack me and i get dismounted, or close to being dismounted, then the players (who are literally waiting at the gate) get me...
    • You must be in one of the excessive zerg portals unfortunately if all the exits are even being camped. The devs are attempting to help with some of this with the expanded blackzone coming soon. However they unfortunately do not seem to care about the ridiculous 8k players alliances they have allowed to continually happen due to zerg friendly mechanics.
    • Attempt number 7 - 175,000 silver - There is a chap playing, his name is Lorean who is standing on the gate with 3 buddies, his entire build is designed to stop people in their tracks (frost staff etc).

I have resorted to not wearing armour anymore as it's costing too much and offering no help.
    • We have progress boys, I've finally made it through Alderwood to Fort Sterling.

It would appear that Arch has poor coordination (boys running trying to get their willies wet in a group) so they chased after some other poor person and i slipped past.

Chased excessively by other people on my little T4 horse as I continued on my journey.

We are... 1/4 of the way to where I need to get to.

I will keep you posted.
    • Eldari wrote:

We have progress boys, I've finally made it through Alderwood to Fort Sterling.

It would appear that Arch has poor coordination (boys running trying to get their willies wet in a group) so they chased after some other poor person and i slipped past.

Chased excessively by other people on my little T4 horse as I continued on my journey.

We are... 1/4 of the way to where I need to get to.

I will keep you posted.
      Alderwood is the worst zone when it comes to gate campers. If you've made it out of there, the rest of your journey should not be so bad. Avoid roads and don't take the obvious direct route across each map.

For others facing a similar situation and trying to change your portal lock from Mercia to Cumbria or Anglia - don't try to go from Alderwood. Elmwood or Flintslice are slightly less camped portal zones, and even though you'll have to travel an extra few zones overall, it's safer.
      AO Quick Reference Guide
      Discord: Grimhawke#9254