Farm plots / Housing Ratio

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Farm plots / Housing Ratio

The ratio of Houses to Farms on a personal island are kind of ridiculous. With the surge of players being introduced to Albion, food has sky rocketed. Some of the t7/t8 food is nearly double the price. I think the devs need to revisit islands, and increase farm capacity. On top of that, I think there should be farm laborers that can add additional perks to farming. currently, the housing to farms ratio is 5:11. I personally, hate gathering. I get no satisfaction in it. The farms and stables aspect though, I genuinely enjoy. I know the counter argument will be that there are already farm plots in zones- both in royals and black zones, but those are few and far between in availability. With the increasing player base, food will end up costing more than gear will.
    • Hey @jwhite179!

Thanks for your feedback.
      I think the biggest counter argument to this would be that in theory every single new player can have access to his own private island. If on average the same percentage of players in the old player base and the new one farm their islands every day, the price of food would be exactly the same as it was before free-to-play.
      I would assume we're seeing the high prices right now because the majority of new players hasn't bought their own island yet but that many of them will in fact buy one in the next couple of weeks. This should reduce the cost of food substantially.
      We're monitoring all kinds of prices, food and herbs respectively are one of them of course. If we see an issue arise, we may react, but right now I don't see a reason to worry.
      Hope this helps to understand our view?

- Lino
    • H4n1baL wrote:

Hey @jwhite179!

Thanks for your feedback.
      I think the biggest counter argument to this would be that in theory every single new player can have access to his own private island. If on average the same percentage of players in the old player base and the new one farm their islands every day, the price of food would be exactly the same as it was before free-to-play.
      I would assume we're seeing the high prices right now because the majority of new players hasn't bought their own island yet but that many of them will in fact buy one in the next couple of weeks. This should reduce the cost of food substantially.
      We're monitoring all kinds of prices, food and herbs respectively are one of them of course. If we see an issue arise, we may react, but right now I don't see a reason to worry.
      Hope this helps to understand our view?

- Lino
      I have an island. And I do not farm, as I do not like to farm. Obviously not every player play MMOs as solo RPGs, so - do everything, go everywhere. If all played like that, actually any trade would be pointless, as all the players will get alone every resource and gear.
    • I am well aware of that. That's why I said "If on average the same percentage of players in the old player base and the new one farm their islands every day".
      I don't expect every single player to farm their island, but I'd expect a similar percentage of players to do so once they have access to their island.
      Every player having the theoretical access to a player island was my counter argument for not having enough places to do farming. Nothing changed essentially and before it was considered working.

- Lino
    • H4n1baL wrote:

I am well aware of that. That's why I said "If on average the same percentage of players in the old player base and the new one farm their islands every day".
      I don't expect every single player to farm their island, but I'd expect a similar percentage of players to do so once they have access to their island.
      Every player having the theoretical access to a player island was my counter argument for not having enough places to do farming. Nothing changed essentially and before it was considered working.

- Lino
      In general this is possible. But right now there is a gap in the supply. So why the players with farms should be limited? If they want let them pay and make only farming islands if they want. When the prices go down, obviously they will change their production profile. Right now you have free market with planned production, which does not seem like a good combination. As a result some of the new players will not use the expensive food, as they can not afford it. And that will slow their progress and competitiveness. I rarely use food for example, as the cost is too high for the advantage. And that is what will limit the prices, but with negative effect to many players and very slow. As this is not a real food, and in general the demand is not driven by real needs. So other players just do not count the price/advantage ratio and pay.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ikcen ().

• Amoebius76 wrote:

To get a share of their profit or a fixed, regular sum, like in a real leasing contract. Was just an idea of mine.^^
      Your idea is based on the real life where the accessible land is limited. Here the land is unlimited, as the islands are instanced. And all the players want to own one. But that does not mean they want to use it for profit or in general. It seems you do not understand the difference between game and reality. In some moment in the future I may farm, or I may not.
    • Ikcen wrote:

Amoebius76 wrote:

To get a share of their profit or a fixed, regular sum, like in a real leasing contract. Was just an idea of mine.^^
      Your idea is based on the real life where the accessible land is limited. Here the land is unlimited, as the islands are instanced. And all the players want to own one. But that does not mean they want to use it for profit or in general. It seems you do not understand the difference between game and reality. In some moment in the future I may farm, or I may not.
      Sorry then for my foolish suggestion. I guess I better keep to my bug threads.^^
    • Supply and demand working as intended. As @H4n1baL has stated the prices should once again stabilise as the new player-base gets to a point where they have farming operations in place. Some will farm some won’t, as was the situation with the existing player-base prior to f2p

Working as intended based on supply and demand and to artificially try and counter that is not required.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

Supply and demand working as intended. As @H4n1baL has stated the prices should once again stabilise as the new player-base gets to a point where they have farming operations in place. Some will farm some won’t, as was the situation with the existing player-base prior to f2p

Working as intended based on supply and demand and to artificially try and counter that is not required.
      One day maybe the prices will fall back. One day we all will be dead. That does not mean we should do nothing meanwhile. As an economist maybe I know better :) Maybe, it is not for sure.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ikcen ().

• Amoebius76 wrote:

Ikcen wrote:

Amoebius76 wrote:

Sorry then for my foolish suggestion. I guess I better keep to my bug threads.^^
      your suggestion was very good.

@Ikcen is just a stubborn person (and inexperienced in both game and IRL?) who would rather let an opportunity go by instead of seizing it. Maybe he is lazy too.

There is very little "difference" between theory in game (market theory, economics, supply-demand, actually there is almost no difference) vs reality. Its pretty much all the same. Poor ppl IRL are lazy, and ppr ppl in Albion are lazy as well...

Ikcen wrote:

That does not mean we should do nothing meanwhile.
      If you are lazy - you will be nothing meanwhile. If you see an opportunity and want to seize it - you will be successful. Always.

Ikcen wrote:

As an economist maybe I know better Maybe, it is not for sure.
      Maybe you're just a bad economist? Just maybe...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Captainrussia ().

• Captainrussia wrote:

Amoebius76 wrote:

Ikcen wrote:

Amoebius76 wrote:

your suggestion was very good.
      @Amoebius76 is just a stubborn person (and inexperienced in both game and IRL?) who would rather let an opportunity go by instead of seizing it. Maybe he is lazy too.

There is very little "difference" between theory in game (market theory, economics, supply-demand, actually there is almost no difference) vs reality. Its pretty much all the same. Poor ppl IRL are lazy, and ppr ppl in Albion are lazy as well...

Ikcen wrote:

That does not mean we should do nothing meanwhile.
      If you are lazy - you will be nothing meanwhile. If you see an opportunity and want to seize it - you will be successful. Always.

Ikcen wrote:

As an economist maybe I know better Maybe, it is not for sure.
      Maybe you're just a bad economist? Just maybe...
      Lazy? Players play for fun, this is not a job, it is a game :) And there is a huge difference with the reality. But what I know, as a bad economist.
    • Barathorn wrote:

The demand and huge price increase is completely linked to the amount of people using vendor plots. Food resources are low but the amount of money generated by city plots since F2P launched is very high. Interesting times!
      I'd also like to point out, that as time goes on.. These city plots are raising in tax prices exponentially. Newer players can hardly afford the taxes to even utilize the vendors. Especially with how the owners bid is x2 the input. Regardless, the idea of leasing is great. Truly, I think that is a great aspect of Albion. At the end of the day though, I hardly trust people in AO. Not really a lot of reason to trust people in this game, and after what happened with the Bank of Albion- I don't see much reason to exploit personal contracts that don't have an in-game mechanic that supports it.

I also, have heavily invested in my island. I have a lot of money in materials, decorations, and structures on my island. Just wish I had more of a reason of going there besides spending 10-15minutes on my farms, exchanging journals, and regearing. The ability to fish from our islands was great, I think that was definitely a step in the right direction... but a t6 island that is overcrowded with t1 wood and stone is kind of obnoxious.

The post was edited 1 time, last by jwhite179 ().