Upcoming changes to the Land Auction System

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• grz09 wrote:

Lol
      Wanna see the owner counter bid like 50mil, but actually people only bid 1mil max LOL
      I am still bit confused about this whole system. The price will be the second highest bid (+1 silver) so the owner would pay the 1mill (+1)?

Unfortunately blind bids work both ways. There are so many plots out there. Some will end up being very cheap to defend and keep.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • Rofl , another great job SI …

beeing a shopkeeper since launch in BW and i don't think i ever got some serious bid from a player that actually wanted the shop to keep up .
      High bids are from town control or just players who want to drain shopkeepers … So why this studip change ??

Whit the income these last weeks i suggest all shopkeepers just dumb a ton of silver that counts double and wait . If i loose my shops this way i just get loads of silver to start bidding (anoying others) myself …

Amazing job guys , well thought as Always :(
      Caelis ,The Skeleton King of Bridgewatch
      Boradir, Duke of Caerleon
    • TriMoon wrote:

@Evoque, your new system will still not break monopolies.
      To forcefully break monopolies you need to restrict owning only 1 of each type of building per city per player.
      Even then with mule accounts a single player could own the whole city but it's the max you can do technically...
      So to sum up your post,...

“this is the way to break monopolies, but that wont work either”.

Great.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

TriMoon wrote:

To forcefully break monopolies you need to restrict owning only 1 of each type of building per city per player.
      Even then with mule accounts a single player could own the whole city but it's the max you can do technically...
      So to sum up your post,...
      “this is the way to break monopolies, but that wont work either”.

Great.
      And sumerizing yours: “I'm just trolling” clap
      Next time try to argument your reply why you like or dislike what someone writes....
      This account im using here and on the wiki is not my game account ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by TriMoon ().

• Ravenar wrote:

grz09 wrote:

Lol
      Wanna see the owner counter bid like 50mil, but actually people only bid 1mil max LOL
      I am still bit confused about this whole system. The price will be the second highest bid (+1 silver) so the owner would pay the 1mill (+1)?
      Unfortunately blind bids work both ways. There are so many plots out there. Some will end up being very cheap to defend and keep.
      The owner will have to pay only 500k +1 because of stupid 2x advantage.

@Evoque
      What will happen to the bid of defending player if he is the only bidder on the plot? Will they get back all their money or only half of their money (2x advantage). If its the former - then system will do literally nothing to combat monopolies.

Also 2x advantage needs to go! Auction should be fair.
    • Evoque wrote:

The main change is that we are moving to a so called "blind" auction system, meaning that players won't see each others' bids until the winner is determined. The eventual price paid by the winner is the same as before: namely, an amount equal to the bid of the second highest bidder plus 1 silver. The 2x bid advantage of the current owner stays in place.

This system should make it much easier to break monopolies, as you can attack a plot with a bid without the current owner knowing whether a bid has been placed. Hence, somebody who owns multiple plots can no longer simply selectively defend only those that have bids, but will instead have to blindly defend all of them - a much much harder undertaking.
      That wouldnt change much. All that changes - owner doesnt know exact bids and have to place high bids everywhere just to be sure. That's not a problem for players having big amounts of silver at all - most of that bids would return back same as before. So it's just a question of how deep your wallet is. And the main victims of new system would be owners having not so much silver - they would be forced to gather everything they can afford to keep their plots.
    • Zbrkesbris wrote:

Ravenar wrote:

grz09 wrote:

Lol
      I am still bit confused about this whole system. The price will be the second highest bid (+1 silver) so the owner would pay the 1mill (+1)?Unfortunately blind bids work both ways. There are so many plots out there. Some will end up being very cheap to defend and keep.
      The owner will have to pay only 500k +1 because of stupid 2x advantage.
      @Evoque
      What will happen to the bid of defending player if he is the only bidder on the plot? Will they get back all their money or only half of their money (2x advantage). If its the former - then system will do literally nothing to combat monopolies.

Also 2x advantage needs to go! Auction should be fair.
      Are you certain the 2x Advantage hasn't been done away with in this Blind Bidding?

Can we get some Dev Confirmation?
      Guild Leader - [PAWN STARS] - an Australian Guild!
      Our Recruitment Post
    • Zbrkesbris wrote:

WulfricNick wrote:

Are you certain the 2x Advantage hasn't been done away with in this Blind Bidding?

Can we get some Dev Confirmation?
      Its in the OP:

Evoque wrote:

The 2x bid advantage of the current owner stays in place.

That'll teach me to read then forget half of what was written...

That should be done away with
      Guild Leader - [PAWN STARS] - an Australian Guild!
      Our Recruitment Post
    • The main question stays in place: Will excessive bidding [by the owners] lead them to lose half of their money or not?
      If latter, this overall change wouldnt change much.
      Monopolist just have to calculate predictable maximum of bidding and place (number of plots)*(max bid). And then get all money back (subtract tiny biddings that really taken place).
      If , for example, diva [fort sterling monopolist] will place a 1,000,000,000 bid on every plot, effectively resulting in 2,000,000,000 bid, he can keep his monopoly without losses just as before.
      One requirement - having an enough sum on his wallet. Im pretty sure they do.
    • letwolf wrote:

The main question stays in place: Will excessive bidding [by the owners] lead them to lose half of their money or not?
      If latter, this overall change wouldnt change much.
      Monopolist just have to calculate predictable maximum of bidding and place (number of plots)*(max bid). And then get all money back (subtract tiny biddings that really taken place).
      If , for example, diva [fort sterling monopolist] will place a 1,000,000,000 bid on every plot, effectively resulting in 2,000,000,000 bid, he can keep his monopoly without losses just as before.
      One requirement - having an enough sum on his wallet. Im pretty sure they do.
      It could get interesting if ultra rich cartels would compete for city plots. But I presume they will be working together even more than before to prevent themselves from outbidding each other.

I mean if Cartel1 places a 1B bid on a plot and a hostile cartel places a 1.1B bid on same plot. Even if they win, they would end up paying way too much for the plot...

So expect the now competing (I assume) cartels to work tighter together...

I am still in favor of Lottery. Maybe just 10 or so plots in each city would be open for lottery. You can buy unlimited amount of tickets but any can win. So a new player with just one ticket can win a plot for one season ^^ No refunds. That would keep the price relatively low.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ravenar ().

• A simple idea, why not apply a fee to the store owner in proportion to the number of stores you have? For example: If you have 10 stores (in the city that is) you pay 10% of all the raw silver that enters these stores directly to the system, if you have the 80 plots you have to pay 80% of all the silver in the rough that wins.

We should polish the idea more, but it would be interesting.
    • The developers waited too long to make this change. If they had done it 6 months ago there wouldn't have to be monopolies. If they had actually announced the change they had made to the auction last month, there probably wouldn't have to be monopolies. They didn't do any of those very reasonable things though.

They waited til just after they got to reward those monopolies with a pile of silver to protect themselves with first. I don't really think it's a coincidence. The owners get their reward of billions of silver. The developers get to say "Look we did something!", even if it isn't likely to be effective for at least 6 months or more. Everyone else just gets to put up with the same thing for a long time.

In the long run the change puts plots in the hands of people who value them the most. The problem is that, by waiting so long, the hands that value those plots are not only the ones they are already in, the monopolists, but they also gave them a constantly refilling war chest of silver to fight people off through the f2p wave of players.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
    • TriMoon wrote:

Midgard wrote:

TriMoon wrote:

So to sum up your post,...“this is the way to break monopolies, but that wont work either”.

Great.
      And sumerizing yours: “I'm just trolling” clap Next time try to argument your reply why you like or dislike what someone writes....
      Surely stating what I liked or disliked about it was moot. Your post offered nothing. Actually it offered a solution then stated why this solution wouldn't work. I wasn’t trolling... just pointing out that your post offered nothing other than a solution that you yourself then countered.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

Surely stating what I liked or disliked about it was moot. Your post offered nothing. Actually it offered a solution then stated why this solution wouldn't work. I wasn’t trolling... just pointing out that your post offered nothing other than a solution that you yourself then countered.
      Nothing is moot if you actually want to criticize someones post, otherwise you are only trolling...
      I didn't counter my own suggestion, i merely made them aware of a possible bypass. (Which they already actively watch for and remove when they notice)
      The fact that you interpret it the way you did says more about you as it does about my suggestion.
      I don't know who you are but its time for you to mature a bit if you intend to interact with me more.
      (Else i will just ignore you like most on the forum probably already do)
      This account im using here and on the wiki is not my game account ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by TriMoon ().