Upcoming changes to the Land Auction System

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Upcoming changes to the Land Auction System

Hey everyone,

There have been several ongoing discussions on the monopolization of the city plots and we appreciate all of your feedback on this topic. After evaluating the situation, we plan to make a set of changes in Oberon Patch #4 to address this. You can expect the patch to go live in the coming days, prior to the next auction cycle.

The main change is that we are moving to a so called "blind" auction system, meaning that players won't see each others' bids until the winner is determined. The eventual price paid by the winner is the same as before: namely, an amount equal to the bid of the second highest bidder plus 1 silver. The 2x bid advantage of the current owner stays in place.

This system should make it much easier to break monopolies, as you can attack a plot with a bid without the current owner knowing whether a bid has been placed. Hence, somebody who owns multiple plots can no longer simply selectively defend only those that have bids, but will instead have to blindly defend all of them - a much much harder undertaking.

Below is a breakdown of the changes in detail.

Land auctions will use a "blind auction" system, as follows:
      • During the auction phase of the land auction, the highest winning bid is no longer visible to everyone - instead, bidders can only see their own bids.
      • 24 hours before the end of the auction cycle, bidding ends, and the winning bid and player are visible to all players in the Real Estate UI. At this point, any blocked funds are released and all ingame confirmation messages are sent. (This phase replaces the current "Owners Only" bidding phase.)
      • The winning bid of the previous auction will remain visible at all times.
      • Players will no longer receive in-game messages related to changes in the highest bidder during the auction phase.
      • The Real Estate UI has been updated to reflect these changes.
      - Evoque
      AlbionOnline | @EJevoque | Evoque#9601
    • Tycho wrote:

That's great that you're taking action. Can you explain how this new system hinders players from "defending all of their plots" after they've been using the current system for many months to obtain the required silver to defend it successfully?
      I think shifting from "Defending&blocking all of possible plots in town" to "Defending only those you really need" is perfect enough.
      Should work.
    • letwolf wrote:

Tycho wrote:

That's great that you're taking action. Can you explain how this new system hinders players from "defending all of their plots" after they've been using the current system for many months to obtain the required silver to defend it successfully?
      I think shifting from "Defending&blocking all of possible plots in town" to "Defending only those you really need" is perfect enough.Should work.
      We'll see. I think you underestimate the mountain of silver they've been able to obtain this entire time. Devs would know better than I of course.
    • Tycho wrote:

This is actually perfect because they are going to be forced to either defend every single plot with insane amounts of silver which technically they could.. but it will make them have to really put A LOT of money at defending every single plot. Or try to guess which plots will be bidded for more and divide accordingly which is super hard. I think they will definitely lose plots and there goes their monopoly.
    • ... I hope this helps... but somebody who can afford to buy every single plot in fort sterling and lymhurst can afford to out bid almost everybody in the game...
      It's a delima if you forcefully break their monopolies. Well thats not very capitalistic.. but other then putting a restriction in place that makes them give it up, I think fort sterling will still be entirely owned by diva in 3 months...

I do hope this helps!
    • Saabotage wrote:

... Надеюсь, это поможет ... но тот, кто может позволить себе купить каждый заговор в Форт-Стерлинге и Лимхерсте, может позволить себе выиграть почти у всех в игре ...
      Это бред, если вы силой разрушаете их монополии. Ну, это не очень капиталистично ... но если не считать ограничения, которое заставит их отказаться от этого, я думаю, что форт стерлинг все еще будет полностью принадлежать диве через 3 месяца ...

Надеюсь, это поможет!

Now taxes 40% after <60%
      *An Ex Por*
      Buy Bank Guards!!! xD
    • If I was a monopoly holder, and lost some plots to some new bidders, all I would do it contact them all explaining how they could become very rich.

I’d then offer them a consortium to agree to keep taxes high and we could all watch the silver roll in.

This change won’t do anything for taxes, unless we get some Samaritans winning the auctions.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Saabotage wrote:

... I hope this helps... but somebody who can afford to buy every single plot in fort sterling and lymhurst can afford to out bid almost everybody in the game...
      It's a delima if you forcefully break their monopolies. Well thats not very capitalistic.. but other then putting a restriction in place that makes them give it up, I think fort sterling will still be entirely owned by diva in 3 months...

I do hope this helps!
      FYI, monopolies are not allowed in a capitalist system
    • Just curious will we ever know what the winning bids are for each plot? Or just the fact we lost and only the winner will know what the real cost was. This change should be interesting. It should of been made a long time ago before the ftp players had to start and paying these terrible rates.