[16.04.] Update on the Server and Client Performance

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [16.04.] Update on the Server and Client Performance

Hello everyone,

It’s time for another update on the server and client performance.

As Korn mentioned on Saturday, the fix we have deployed on Friday was a success. The server still seems to be playing nice and we were able to increase the maximum capacity a little more in an attempt to eliminate or reduce the length of the queue during peak hours. We are still expecting queues between 17:00 and 21:00 UTC, but they should be less severe than previously.

As for client performance: we have identified an issue with player nametags that we suspect to be the culprit for a significant portion in declining performance and FPS drops over the course of a playing session. We have also devised a fix for it, which will be put into tomorrow’s patch, so you should hopefully see improved client-side performance in time for the start of the GvG season. Note that in the meantime, if you notice that your game client gets gradually slower, restarting the game can provide a temporary fix. We of course continue keeping an eye on the performance post-patch and continue making additional improvements.

Thank you for your patience and continued support,
      -Talion
      Losing my insanity would mean I'm losing everything: the dreams where I can fly.
    • Talion wrote:

Hello everyone,

As Korn mentioned on Saturday, the fix we have deployed on Friday was a success. The server still seems to be playing nice and we were able to increase the maximum capacity a little more in an attempt to eliminate or reduce the length of the queue during peak hours. We are still expecting queues between 17:00 and 21:00 UTC, but they should be less severe than previously.

As for client performance: we have identified an issue with player nametags that we suspect to be the culprit for a significant portion in declining performance and FPS drops over the course of a playing session. We have also devised a fix for it, which will be put into tomorrow’s patch, so you should hopefully see improved client-side performance in time for the start of the GvG season. Note that in the meantime, if you notice that your game client gets gradually slower, restarting the game can provide a temporary fix. We of course continue keeping an eye on the performance post-patch and continue making additional improvements.

-Talion
      Heads up, you guys also have a memory leak. Just leave Albion running and check the resources used.
      I have to restart mine every few hours. That is the issue you are describing.

Speaking of servers, what are you using on the back end? VMware? Hyper-V?
      I encountered quite a few issues with Hyper-V, just a heads up.

Did I help? Please use my Referral Link.
    • Lexinator wrote:

Talion wrote:

Hello everyone,

-Talion
      Heads up, you guys also have a memory leak. Just leave Albion running and check the resources used.I have to restart mine every few hours. That is the issue you are describing.

They know they have a memory leak. It is obvious.
      T8 All Gatherer - T8 All Refiner - T8 Rare Animal Breeder

Newbie questions are welcome! <3 <3

Referral Link: Play for free today!
    • Crane wrote:

Lexinator wrote:

Talion wrote:

Hello everyone,

-Talion
      Heads up, you guys also have a memory leak. Just leave Albion running and check the resources used.I have to restart mine every few hours. That is the issue you are describing.
      It's so obvious that they made a post about it. Actually the first post of this thread!
    • paxprobellum wrote:

Crane wrote:

Lexinator wrote:

Talion wrote:

Hello everyone,

-Talion
      Heads up, you guys also have a memory leak. Just leave Albion running and check the resources used.I have to restart mine every few hours. That is the issue you are describing.Speaking of servers, what are you using on the back end? VMware? Hyper-V?
      It's so obvious that they made a post about it. Actually the first post of this thread!
      Jokes aside, they never said memory leak. I was trying to be helpful, but internet and all lol.

Did I help? Please use my Referral Link.
    • Thank you for your tired effort in giving players stable connections and less ques. Something else I think you guys need to consider is scaling the environment and areas. While there are a lot of positive things F2P is bringing to Albion, one of the negative effects is increased server population for the game. Areas inside Albion felt expansive and limitless. Now there is a player literally everywhere. Something I missed before F2P was the areas feeling larger and less populated. Why there is a problem:

- The newly populated cities are just to small. The amount of players inside the cities feels very cramped. These cities are meant to be large scale and very expansive. I see 10 players on top of my body at a time, I can hardly see the floor in areas of the city anymore, and it just feels confined.
      - The gathering resources in Blue and Yellow zones appear much faster, but that don't mean there is ever much of it left. The new players are just coming in bulk and taking it, which is fine. The problem is it makes gathering that much harder in the game now. If the areas were scaled larger and there were more nodes for gathering put on the map, it would force players to travel further to get it and allow other ones a chance to collect more far away resources. This would also create longer windows of escape and attack for ganking in yellow, red and black zones.

I really hope you guys are considering scaling all tiles and areas inside of the game. This is especially the case for the main cities that are overpopulated now. It needs to be done now rather than later.
    • Wintertechnics wrote:

Thank you for your tired effort in giving players stable connections and less ques. Something else I think you guys need to consider is scaling the environment and areas. While there are a lot of positive things F2P is bringing to Albion, one of the negative effects is increased server population for the game. Areas inside Albion felt expansive and limitless. Now there is a player literally everywhere. Something I missed before F2P was the areas feeling larger and less populated. Why there is a problem:

- The newly populated cities are just to small. The amount of players inside the cities feels very cramped. These cities are meant to be large scale and very expansive. I see 10 players on top of my body at a time, I can hardly see the floor in areas of the city anymore, and it just feels confined.
      - The gathering resources in Blue and Yellow zones appear much faster, but that don't mean there is ever much of it left. The new players are just coming in bulk and taking it, which is fine. The problem is it makes gathering that much harder in the game now. If the areas were scaled larger and there were more nodes for gathering put on the map, it would force players to travel further to get it and allow other ones a chance to collect more far away resources. This would also create longer windows of escape and attack for ganking in yellow, red and black zones.

I really hope you guys are considering scaling all tiles and areas inside of the game. This is especially the case for the main cities that are overpopulated now. It needs to be done now rather than later.
      Completely agree. I’d like to see a larger map with more zones and the cities be expanded to actually feel like cities rather than small crowded towns.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter