Bizarre: Monopolized refining cities and high rates.

• iWoE wrote:

I'm just a new player who started about a week ago but I stumbled onto this thread and this is just my two cents on this.

Wouldn't the easiest way to deal with this would probably just be to massively increase the number of plots available in each city so it becomes unfeasible for a single or couple of people to own all the plots and make it more accessible for people to own plots (ie: reduce the minimum bid if there is one, hold the auctions more often, etc)? No need for something like a tax cap or plot limit because if enough people come to own plots then competition will inevitable appear and eventually the tax rates will settle to a normal rate. After all, if someone sets the tax rate too high, the competitors with lower rates will get all the traffic causing them to lose money. If someone sets the tax rate too low, then they'll get all the traffic but still lose money due to the upkeep costs.

Also, when I say "increase the number of plots", I don't mean something like doubling or tripling them. I mean like increasing the number by 10-15 times. If there's no space in the cities, just add a portal to the city that links to a "crafting district" or something which can be an entire map filled with nothing but plots and if a single extra map of plots is not enough to ensure that one person doesn't end up buying all the plots, make a crafting district part 2 or 3.

I mean sure extra maps is probably more taxing on the servers but from the time I've played, Albion online needs better servers anyways so...
      The problem with that is with more plots, each plot's value becomes lower due to lower revenue on plots. Revenue of a plot depends on people using it, more plots, less people used per plot. With each plot's revenue lower, each plot's value decreases. It might still be possible for one person to own all the plots if each plot is cheaper.
    • Hastix wrote:

iWoE wrote:

I'm just a new player who started about a week ago but I stumbled onto this thread and this is just my two cents on this.

Wouldn't the easiest way to deal with this would probably just be to massively increase the number of plots available in each city so it becomes unfeasible for a single or couple of people to own all the plots and make it more accessible for people to own plots (ie: reduce the minimum bid if there is one, hold the auctions more often, etc)? No need for something like a tax cap or plot limit because if enough people come to own plots then competition will inevitable appear and eventually the tax rates will settle to a normal rate. After all, if someone sets the tax rate too high, the competitors with lower rates will get all the traffic causing them to lose money. If someone sets the tax rate too low, then they'll get all the traffic but still lose money due to the upkeep costs.

Also, when I say "increase the number of plots", I don't mean something like doubling or tripling them. I mean like increasing the number by 10-15 times. If there's no space in the cities, just add a portal to the city that links to a "crafting district" or something which can be an entire map filled with nothing but plots and if a single extra map of plots is not enough to ensure that one person doesn't end up buying all the plots, make a crafting district part 2 or 3.

I mean sure extra maps is probably more taxing on the servers but from the time I've played, Albion online needs better servers anyways so...
      The problem with that is with more plots, each plot's value becomes lower due to lower revenue on plots. Revenue of a plot depends on people using it, more plots, less people used per plot. With each plot's revenue lower, each plot's value decreases. It might still be possible for one person to own all the plots if each plot is cheaper.
      Hmm, so that’s how plots work in Albion. I honestly haven’t gotten to the point of being able to buy plots yet (first week in the game) so my knowledge of how the plots work is limited to what i’ve read in this thread.

Well I supposed a decrease in plot prices is good as well. After all, if what I’m understanding from previous posts is correct, a single plot right now is around 300 mil which I’m assuming is a fairly prohibitive price (not actually sure how rich top players are but 300 mil sounds pretty damn expensive) so if the price of a plot drops to say 200 mil or 100 mil or even less, the price suddenly becomes a lot less prohibitive. If pathetic price of plots become less prohibitive then it’s far more likely for other players to obtain some of those.

Also I’ve been seeing something about an upkeep cost for the plots in the form of food. I’m assuming it’s in the form of having to feed the people on the plot x amount of y per period of time because “food” seems like something people need to consume regardless of how much work they did. If that’s indeed the case then a single person owning all the plots would be even less likely. After all, more plots means more mouths to feed which means an increased upkeep cost but the number of customers will not magically increase drastically like the number of plots did. That means the profits will not have increased as much as the upkeep cost did so a monopoly on all the plots would be significantly less profitable and possibly even a deficit. Of course there is the option to raise the taxes even further (ie: 400-500% or even higher) to make a profit but once taxes raise too high, there’s always a chance people just ditch the town for another town en masse (increased tax rates means increased crafting costs which means increased prices for equipment so everyone is affected).

That being said, maybe plots work differently than what I’m understanding from this thread and all my points are moot. I’ll probably have to look up how plots work in Albion online to even know xD
    • iWoE wrote:

Of course there is the option to raise the taxes even further (ie: 400-500% or even higher) to make a profit but once taxes raise too high, there’s always a chance people just ditch the town for another town en masse (increased tax rates means increased crafting costs which means increased prices for equipment so everyone is affected).
      And that's why as soon as I reached Fort Sterling and went to make my first refining, noticing the taxes and out of curiosity checking all the other buildings just to discover they were ALL owned by a single person with high taxes on them all, from that same moment, I gathered all of my belongings, hopped on my Ox and traveled to my new home, Martlock.
      Iwashi - Priest || Casual Player
      Mats Hoarder || Craft Oriented

The post was edited 1 time, last by Iwashi ().

• Hi there,

First i'd like to thanks Sevens for participating in such a debate, it makes much more sense to have a discussion with everyone concerned about this system.
      I'd like to thank you also for opening my eyes on one of the biggest problem : profitability for owning only one plot, while I was focused on plot acquisition (which is broken too in my opinion).

Captainrussia and Sevens have laid a hand the real thing ( have reached the same conclusion by myself while watching people complaining they can't craft at FS because of low capacity) and i'm suprised it's not more mentionned in this post :

If there is competition, everybody will go to the cheapest plot, leaving every other plot of the same type abandoned.
      Seems logical, yeah ? But in reality you should always have a REASONABLE limit to the number of item you can make at one station, and that's what it's lacking right now.
      Note that limit exist, the mechanic is already there : it's the crafting capacity, but it's value is not based on current players count and other game stats that is making it meaningfull.
      I encourage you to have a look at Captainrussia posts on p.5 of this topic as it gives a good example on how it should work.

One way to make owning one plot profitable could be to have a dynamic crafting capacity, changing with number of same building available, player count, crafting backgound on last fews days of the city, day of the week .... and much more parameters that haven't came to my mind.

Hope this will bring attention to real problems rather than just tax rates ...

Akhume
    • Another solution to the underused plot dilemma would be to add some differentiation. Allow plot owners of a Hunter's Lodge, for instance, to specialize in one or more specific items. That chosen item type receives a bonus of some kind. In this way a city might have 6 Hunter's Lodges, all of them with different specialties, and all of them used.

You could implement the same program with refineries with a bit less diversity. Every Mason could specialize in a different tier stone, and so on. If I'm the kind of person that seeks to maximize profit always, then I refine my T4 rock at one location, drive over to the T5 block specialty plot, and then over to the T6. Every Mason in town gets business.

Just a thought.
    • Iwashi wrote:

iWoE wrote:

Of course there is the option to raise the taxes even further (ie: 400-500% or even higher) to make a profit but once taxes raise too high, there’s always a chance people just ditch the town for another town en masse (increased tax rates means increased crafting costs which means increased prices for equipment so everyone is affected).
      And that's why as soon as I reached Fort Sterling and went to make my first refining, noticing the taxes and out of curiosity checking all the other buildings just to discover they were ALL owned by a single person with high taxes on them all, from that same moment, I gathered all of my belongings, hopped on my Ox and traveled to my new home, Martlock.
      welcome to martlock
      May their soul be in peace and put amongst those who are pious
    • I am happy to see Fort Stealing and Lamehurst have been released from those very high taxes! It's reasonable up to about 35% in my eyes, after that it depends on the plot of course. In the last days Diva upped everything to 100% and 200% in clear spite to funnel as much out of players as they could and that's wrong. The fact the entire city was owned by one person, technically probably more, is not cool.

The wheel is broke. It's good. There is no need to want to earn that much lol.
    • Sevens wrote:

Another solution to the underused plot dilemma would be to add some differentiation. Allow plot owners of a Hunter's Lodge, for instance, to specialize in one or more specific items. That chosen item type receives a bonus of some kind. In this way a city might have 6 Hunter's Lodges, all of them with different specialties, and all of them used.

You could implement the same program with refineries with a bit less diversity. Every Mason could specialize in a different tier stone, and so on. If I'm the kind of person that seeks to maximize profit always, then I refine my T4 rock at one location, drive over to the T5 block specialty plot, and then over to the T6. Every Mason in town gets business.

Just a thought.
      That's actually a really really good idea imo. It gives the option of having plots specialize and compete in that arena. Instead of just competing at a race towards the bottom %.

I think the amount of plots would have to be increased though for it to work without turning into a monopoly situation within said specializations.
    • Saya wrote:

Piddle wrote:

Saya wrote:

jealous much?
      I'm disappointed you couldn't maintain it for a couple more months, at least until they turn the resource growth rate down again. You lack commitment. Do better in the future.
      still commenting on plots while knowing nothing, check
      I was being 100% genuine. I figured that since you were probably given the plots for free and you stole the money to run them, that you could at least keep the floors swept and the lights on in Fort Sterling for another month or two. Carrots get too expensive for you?
      Discord: Piddle#7413
      "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper