Free To Play Day 3: First Wave of Datacenter Improvements Complete

• Free To Play Day 3: First Wave of Datacenter Improvements Complete

Hey everyone,

I wanted to update you regarding the state of Albion's server situation, the lag and queue.

Following the plan laid out yesterday, we deployed several changes and improvements to the network infrastructure during today's maintenance. The results look promising, we're not recording a significant amount of packet loss anymore.

With the reduction of packet loss, you should also note a significant reduction in lag and we're able to let in more players. We're now carefully increasing the player limit to avoid further queues, but we will be monitoring performance closely and might have to employ queues again if they become necessary. We already have significantly (35%+) more players playing concurrently than we've had the last couple of days, however!

As player numbers increase, you are more likely to see overload protection features kicking in. Currently, once a city region reaches more than 400 players, other players are hidden from your view. This is not a bug, instead it is a feature that significantly improves network performance and helps us ensure the game world keeps running smoothly. Should city population remain at very high levels in the coming weeks, we will take further measures to improve this feature for your convenience.

With the increasing server population additional issues may arise, but for the moment I am happy to welcome all the new players into the game!

Stay safe on the roads of Albion!

Sincerely,

Robin 'Eltharyon' Henkys
    Game Director

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eltharyon ().

• GlassCannon wrote:

bmizzle wrote:

good now if we can just fix the client we'll be all set. fps dropping from 130 to 20? like wtf?
    Good it’s not just my PC. I’ve got an nvidia 1080ti graphics card and last night my PC fps dropped to a stutter in game (never seen that before). I was dropping settings left and right to mid level instead of ultra and it barely helped.
    Albion Online is made in Unity Engine, which is well known for being super bad at game optimization since it uses C# programming language. Developers are trying to improve game frame rates for sure, but thats not their main focus I guess, since it's really hard to optimize C# based game.
  • DuendeBrek wrote:

GlassCannon wrote:

bmizzle wrote:

good now if we can just fix the client we'll be all set. fps dropping from 130 to 20? like wtf?
    Good it’s not just my PC. I’ve got an nvidia 1080ti graphics card and last night my PC fps dropped to a stutter in game (never seen that before). I was dropping settings left and right to mid level instead of ultra and it barely helped.
    Albion Online is made in Unity Engine, which is well known for being super bad at game optimization since it uses C# programming language. Developers are trying to improve game frame rates for sure, but thats not their main focus I guess, since it's really hard to optimize C# based game.
    C# is no way known for being bad for optimizing games, I have no idea where you get that from. There is a reason why C# is one of the most used languages for small companies.

If you are talking about mobile game development, yes, it is not the best for mobile games, but for pc games it is definetly not bad for optimization, its actually one of the best.

Now, Unity on the other hand, makes things a bit tricky, no matter what language you use, Either javascript or C#. Still, it is possible to optimize a game in Unity. Just a bit tricky.
  • Holoin wrote:

DuendeBrek wrote:

GlassCannon wrote:

bmizzle wrote:

C# is no way known for being bad for optimizing games, I have no idea where you get that from. There is a reason why C# is one of the most used languages for small companies.
    If you are talking about mobile game development, yes, it is not the best for mobile games, but for pc games it is definetly not bad for optimization, its actually one of the best.

Now, Unity on the other hand, makes things a bit tricky, no matter what language you use, Either javascript or C#. Still, it is possible to optimize a game in Unity. Just a bit tricky.
    I use C# in high end scientific computing calculations all the time. It’s a good language. What I was saying prior to that comment was that since the Oberon update I’ve noticed that after playing for a couple hours my FPS drops from like 250 to 15. Restarting the computer helps a bit. No other games with far more demanding graphics do this. And I never saw it before F2p update.
  • Games felt pretty good today. I got no lag and ping wasnt bad (EU player). Lots of players in the cities and spent a lot of time in the help channel answering questions when the mods weren't around (everyone has to eat!).

Overall the launch was a disappointment with the queues and lag and gold bug, but here we are just 48 hours later and its a lot better. Sure we lost some players forever in those first 48 hours (although plenty will be sensible enough to realise its just opening day problems and will stick around) but the weekend beckons and Im sure the glut of new players who we will get over the next couple of days will have a better experience.

Well done SBI for sorting it all out. I dread to think how little sleep you guys have had. Games got a great future so thanks and stick at it.

Mid
    Midgard
    T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
    T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
    T8 Bags & Capes Crafter