Tip for new players to save a lot of silver on crafting

• Tip for new players to save a lot of silver on crafting

The volume of different gamemechanics and information can be overwhelming. This is why most new players will miss out on checking the fees of the different crafting stations in towns.
      New players need to know: Fort Sterling aswell as Thetford and Lymhurst are controlled by a single player or a cartel of players who fix the crafting station fees to very high exploiting fees. They bet on new players not noticing it.
      As a new player you should definately right now not craft in Fort Sterling or Thetford as both these towns ask 50% fees from you. In Martlock you can craft for around 8% and in Bridgewatch for around 20% which is much better. To save yourself a lot of silver don't use crafting stations in Lymhurst, Fort Sterling or Thetford right now.
      You're welcome.
      Head of the 'Traders and merchants guild'
    • For the mount, you have to be smart and think of different factors:

- What do I want to do?
      => if you want to do some PVP or gather or just move your stuff, you'll not choose the same mount. A horse is faster than an Ox, so for PVP horse is better but even when you want to gather, an Ox may not be the best choice because of second question. As a player with a horse can outrun you to take the best resource spot.

- In which kind of zone?
      => If you go in red or black zone, an ox may not be the best solution has you need to be fast if someone if chasing you. In blue or yellow zone, the risk is lower so an Ox can be use. You'll have less run to do to the city to stock your stuff in the bank.

- Can I afford to loose my mount?
      => don't use in an dangerous zone a mount that you cannot replace. I think that every body keep telling that, but only go the red and black zone if you have several complete set of equipment (including mount, cape, bag...). So if you die, you can reequip and immediately continue to play.

As you will play in the coming weeks, months, you may/will obtain more exotic and rare mount. Be careful when you decide to use them as they can and will be looted if you are killed in a red or black zone.

And regarding the taxes, I am a beginner crafter of plate boots. And it is true that the taxes are pretty high in the city list in the previous posts.

BUT as a crafter, you need to calculate the cost of production of the item you want to produce and the margin you want to apply. Using an excel sheet to do this is mandatory or at least will be a big help.
      Currently, I am still trying to obtain the correct mix between improving my crafting abilities and obtaining a correct price for the stuff I sell.
    • I had heard of this when I was looking into the game. On one hand I think thats kinda awesome, a cartel taking advantage of new people to the land is a trope in a lot of fantasy and to see it happen in a sandbox mmo is cool. On the other hand, is there a way to push them off? Or have one of the other guilds take over and reduce the fees?
      Yeah, well, you know, thats just like, your opinion man.
    • Heskro wrote:

I had heard of this when I was looking into the game. On one hand I think thats kinda awesome, a cartel taking advantage of new people to the land is a trope in a lot of fantasy and to see it happen in a sandbox mmo is cool. On the other hand, is there a way to push them off? Or have one of the other guilds take over and reduce the fees?
      Yes, with player awareness. If people dont use the stations, they wont obtain enough money to feed them, cauising them to lower their tax so people use them again. Sadly, No one is taking the time and effort to give more awareness to the new players.
    • Heskro wrote:

I had heard of this when I was looking into the game. On one hand I think thats kinda awesome, a cartel taking advantage of new people to the land is a trope in a lot of fantasy and to see it happen in a sandbox mmo is cool. On the other hand, is there a way to push them off? Or have one of the other guilds take over and reduce the fees?
      Yes. The city plots come up for sale every month. Anyone can bid on them, but the owner has last chance to bid. If they outbid you, they get poorer and you lose nothing. With enough persistence, you can run someone out of cash. It's hard though, because a lot of the cartel members are very very rich. (Sounds like real life, no?)
    • I wanted to give a few crafting tips my self.

1. Don't just craft random items. Find out what is selling how in the market. Generally - very specific weapons or armor sell better than others. It depends on pvp, time of day, rarity, material costs, and how strong or useful it is in combat. Find something that looks like it sells good, and focus on it.

2. Crafting has 200 levels (i think) and you have crafting focus. Crafting focus is better used on farming 9 plots of carrots on your island and a low level crafting level (level 20 or lower) will burn up your crafting focus. WHAT i am saying is - best to not use crafting focus on crafting so quickly and easily but what till you get like 50 + levels so crafting focus gets better mileage. If you have low levels of crafting, you will run out of crafting focus fast, and be left with nothing good (inefficiency).

3. It's not a bad idea to also level a refining skill. Harvesting a bar of metal is one thing, but refining it is not too bad. Materials in their harvest form are cheaper than their refined form. SO what you could do is buy-order some tin and copper ore and use some crafting focus to turn it into bronze bars, then sell it back to the market or craft with it. basically using refining and crafting focus AND buy orders to flip for profit. You can even go 1 step further and sell it in another biodome city - like selling bars and stone blocks in lyphmhurst where prices are higher than bridge watch or martlok. Make sure you use sell order, and not sell it directly. Be patient.

4. Well the last tip i can advise is - best to make a crafting alt rather than have your main character focus on everything. Crafting 1 specialized item can eat thousands of LP and has 200 levels. You may want a General pvp / pve / gather character and then a strict crafter. It would give you 2 islands and lots of LP and lots of time to make proper set ups. Also you can have your crafter check a market when parked in the city while your main is out in the world.

Hopefully these tips help. They are my failed wasted time and experience (and silver / USD$) so i hope my opinions help some of you. Goodluck.