I have a remedy for you SBI

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a remedy for you SBI

When people try to log in, if the server detects that they are running the previous version of the client, allow them to login but restrict travel to islands. That way at least apple users can farm (the vast majority of what tablet users do).

It’s not perfect,but it will lead to a MUCH happier iOS base.
    • You are wrong pax. Guessing you don’t have experience writing code. They could easily write code to allow login from one previous client number and only allow travel to islands for farming.

It would just require a little bit of thought to protect against code incompatibility errors such as gear that has been dramatically changed. Just insert a Boolean flag in the code for UpdatedClient. If false, instead of disallowing a logon, simply have code that restricts travel to places of no significance to the game such as personal islands. When writing updates into the game, if there is a code change that will cause some sort of variable call or write error, again use that Boolean answer to prevent code errors.
    • GlassCannon wrote:

You are wrong pax. Guessing you don’t have experience writing code. They could easily write code to allow login from one previous client number and only allow travel to islands for farming.

It would just require a little bit of thought to protect against code incompatibility errors such as gear that has been dramatically changed. Just insert a Boolean flag in the code for UpdatedClient. If false, instead of disallowing a logon, simply have code that restricts travel to places of no significance to the game such as personal islands. When writing updates into the game, if there is a code change that will cause some sort of variable call or write error, again use that Boolean answer to prevent code errors.
      LOL, no. I'm guessing YOU don't have experience writing code.
    • GlassCannon wrote:

I have lots of experience writing many different codes. Educate us Pax, why is this impossible?

Hint: you’re wrong.

There may be some major updates for which it would not be possible. But for hotfix issues. It would generally be easy.
      Backwards compatibility is generally not maintained for game clients. (I can't think of a single instance - please correct me if I'm wrong.) The reason for this should be obvious - I'm sure you would agree, being a veteran of many codes. Nonetheless, chief among the potential issues are 1) security and 2) reference to missing assets. (Honestly, I would be more concerned with allocating developer hours towards making sure that old iOS clients could be used in the game, but I digress...)

Furthermore, I disagree with your assessment of hotfixes. Hotfixes are generally for security and/or game breaking issues - not the kind where you want to accept clients that are not up-to-date, again, for obvious reasons.
    • I’m a scientist by profession and when someone says, “it should be obvious” it usually means they don’t actually know the answer.

I’ve been with this game since the beginning. Many hotfixes are not about security flaws. Obviously, if there is a major security flaw then don’t allow anything but the current version. What should be obvious is that for many if not most of the updates that We have had, this sort of workaround would be acceptable.

I can come up with many examples of simple games that have a backwards compatibility with limited access. I’ll pick a simple one for the sake of discussion. My son likes Hill Climb 1 and 2 apps. When there is an update, the app lets you know. But you can still race. It will not enter you into a race with someone who has a car new to an update. If your client gets old enough, it will force the issue and make you update to the newest version.

But I digress, even though I did show you an actual counterpoint, just about any code issue can be solved with thought. If you were in my department and I heard you say, ‘but I can’t think of someone who’s done it before so no”, I’d fire you.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GlassCannon ().

• GlassCannon wrote:

when someone says, “it should be obvious” it usually means they don’t actually know the answer.

Is that so?

GlassCannon wrote:

... Obviously, if there is a major security flaw then don’t allow anything but the current version.

Obviously!

GlassCannon wrote:

My son likes Hill Climb 1 and 2 apps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

GlassCannon wrote:

just about any code issue can be solved with thought.

Literally no code issues can be solved with thought. They all require developer time, which I would rather have spent on ... y'know .. developing the game. Maintaining backwards compatibility with the BETA iOS client is not nearly high enough priority.

GlassCannon wrote:

If you were in my department and I heard you say, ‘but I can’t think of someone who’s done it before so no”, I’d fire you.

OTOH, if you worked at SBI and told them a major project should be "generally easy" (with thought, of course) without any knowledge of the development work flow or access to their source code, I think they would laugh you out before they had a chance to fire you.

I won't be responding to this thread anymore, mostly because I have other things to do. Anyway, nice chatting with you.
    • You finally revealed that, while your original post indicates it isn’t possible to do this, your final argument is that you *think* it would take too much of the developers (code writers) time.

I can agree that this is a valid opinion that I don’t share. Aim for the sky that you might just clear the tree line is my life’s philosophy.

And my “obviously” statement was followed by an actual suggestion, not the end of a sentence.

Thanks!
    • I know nothing about this code stuff you speak of and just got confused.

If the guy says he's a scientist then let him be ,this is the internet where you can claim to be what ever you want to with no proof needed..

For example I am a unicorn by nature but have recently evolved into a pony with a beak :P
      My Referral Link: albiononline.com/?ref=PUNXMV31W4
    • I think both sides have a point. I think that the farming part of the game could be in theory split into completely own module. Clients (iOS) that support certain version of that farming module are allowed to login and play with the farms. But they cannot interact with other players or chests and they cannot connect to other modules.

Because here is the risk. If there was a mismatch of versions and another player would have access to that island items of different versions would make the thing pretty hard to test completely, probably opening possibilities for exploit.

So, It can be done and would be great for people who only farm. But implementing it would mean some "thought" like having a character locked farming chest that only one person can access(?)... What ever all the possibilities for exploits would be.

But if they would do this, If the farming part was separated module, it could also be improved separately from rest of the game. Many people who would not otherwise play AO could join in the farming aspect and the farming part of the game could be improved so that the playerbase might grow.

So like many times, it depends :D

Having been here for as long as I have, I believe this will not be happening, or not happening soon. Even if for business reasons it might be very smart.

For now, they probably should concentrate fixing the issues in the market and solo content (among many other things...)

edit2: I also would like to pick my crops on iPad with a decent user experience and without downloading 30Mb every other day.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ravenar ().