Reserve Character and Guild Names

• Name reservations would be nice if it doesn't cause too much of a headache for the devs as they try to maintain order. Obviously Vendetta is a name that can easily be paired with the leadership of the guild. The number of guilds with a name as identifiable as Vendetta is 1... Vendetta. There are a bunch of other guilds that have been carrying their names through the alphas that would be easy for devs to sort out, but tons of guilds come and go and change their names from alpha to alpha leaving a grey area as to what constitutes the right to a name reservation.

This is even more convoluted for players. The first alpha I played i didn't get the name I wanted, but I also heard of the player that got the name. Next alpha, does that guy get to reserve it because he had it in an earlier alpha or do I get it because I had it last alpha? The reservation system will just end up becoming an earlier sign up version of the system that is already in place.

Assume that the names Vendetta, Hammer and Sickle, and Insane are taken by other players when forming guilds. How long do you think it would take for the entire server to know these clans by their new names? I suspect that all the confusion caused by a few trolls would be sorted out server wide within 6 hours and none of them would be any worse for wear.
  • Great idea at first...

But who would be allowed to reserve how many names at what point of time?

There's probably 1 (now existing) guild per 20 sold founder's packs.
    (Wild guess.)
    In actual numbers there are 320 guild recruitment threads (many of them LFG) but almost 10,000 forum users.

I don't think that after release, in a live game you had to compete against that many people for your name as if every one had the opportunity to "reserve" your name right now.
  • Life wrote:

I think

Life wrote:

I don't think the guy with 4 legendary accounts is a regular thing. I think that's an extreme outlier. I doubt someone is spending $400 to steal away 3 nicknames from someone else.

I think the idea of allowing founders to reserve nicknames for alpha, beta, and launch is a great idea. Previous games have done it, so its certainly far from impossible. There really aren't any real reasons against it.

Agree 100%!!! Approved!
  • I agree with this. Having someone run around on the character name I have been playing with would make things both confusing and frustrating for the original. This should be definitely be implemented in some way.

I wouldn't be against the idea of making it a founder feature either for all those that have been around since the beginning.
  • Great in concept but too hard to implement with the amount of players and guilds already around - I would rather developers put their resources into improving the game instead, not to mention when the full release comes and it isn't really fair, I'll give an example.

Player 1 has been playing since Alpha as 'hero01' and has always used that name for games and then Player 2 starts playing when the release comes and wanted to call himself 'hero01' because that's his usual IGN. Who deserves the name first? Both people use the same name as IGN's but as the game will be wiped on release only seems fair that a free for all when it comes to names occurs as both players have equal rights to the name.

Some may argue 'but I've been in the forums longer' but my response to that is if you are honestly that dedicated to the game that you want a specific name why would you want a generic one that doesn't make yourself stand out more? All of my current and previous IGN's for games have been unique names without the use of numbers or special characters and for all of my names I've never seen another player coincidentally use the same name as me for a game.

Just my 2 cents haha
  • Applesauceman wrote:

I agree with this. Having someone run around on the character name I have been playing with would make things both confusing and frustrating for the original. This should be definitely be implemented in some way.

I wouldn't be against the idea of making it a founder feature either for all those that have been around since the beginning.

What if someone who is around here for longer would want to be "Applesauceman" (what ever your ingame nick would be).
    One way or another - you can't be sure to get your name.

And unlike so many other games you can only ever occupy one name with any given account.
  • Well, in any case, I don't think i will have a problem with name reservations so it's not really my problem… However, having people named with the same name is confusing and can be a gateway for undesirable trolls, so i think they should at least not let that happen. As for reservations… I don't see much reason why not.
  • Kirredorr wrote:

Well, in any case, I don't think i will have a problem with name reservations so it's not really my problem… However, having people named with the same name is confusing and can be a gateway for undesirable trolls, so i think they should at least not let that happen. As for reservations… I don't see much reason why not.

Maybe I did not undertand well. Can I use a name for my character that is used already? :O
  • They will Start setting up the Server on monday Morning, so i guess at about 11am you should be able to create your char. About an hour later you should be able to log in if you have the legendary pack .

Times are german and servertime.
    Proud owner of the T8 Offhand book Rosalia's Diary. Feel free to pm me once you have your own item named in Albion.