Two casual players looking for advice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Two casual players looking for advice

Hey everyone. My friend and I want to get back into AO and play it casually. We plan on buying a month premium and giving it a go.

I have about 3 months of play time experience (daggers mainly) and he has about 1 week of play time.
      How would you guys handle progressing through the destiny board, silver gain, and maintaining premium?

Also, what PVP/PVE activities and builds would you suggest for a two man group that would be fun? We don't have but an hour to play a day, if that really.. We don't mind PVE, we're just hoping to focus a majority of our gameplay on PVP. Thank you!

The post was edited 1 time, last by NetCode ().

• NetCode wrote:

Hey everyone. My friend and I want to get back into AO and play it casually. We plan on buying a month premium and giving it a go.

I have about 3 months of play time experience (daggers mainly) and he has about 1 week of play time.
      How would you guys handle progressing through the destiny board, silver gain, and maintaining premium?

Also, what PVP/PVE activities and builds would you suggest for a two man group that would be fun? We don't have but an hour to play a day, if that really.. We don't mind PVE, we're just hoping to focus a majority of our gameplay on PVP. Thank you!
      For PvE definitely i would recommend you to wait 20th of march
      - with new update you will lvl up fame very fast in new random dungeons. So PvE/Fame farming would not be a problem and daaamn fun and cool.

About setups, ideal i think is too play Heal + any leather/soldier armor DD, so you can farm dungeons as i said higher ,and protect yourself in pvp. But you can play actually what you want (2 DD , 2 Healers etc...) , all depends on your in-game knowledge. More about builds we can suggest only after you tell us what do you want and prefer to play.

I would suggest you to focus on Royal continents , they are damn fun , especially for solo or small group PvP/PvE. Always tag for any Faction city while you are farming there, for earned faction points you can get goods from NPC and after sell them in Caerleon for a good price - this would be the best way to earn in-game silver to pay for your premium, if you will play 1 hour a day.( just exchange them on T4 City Crests , you will get maximum profit)

So on Royals -
      1. you can face "fair" small scale PvP fights ,
      2. nice silver profit thanks to Factions,
      3. much more small groups/solo in openworld to interact - Kill Them/Play with Them.
      4. Capturing faction Outposts (as 2 man it is possible with any DD + Heal with decent gear)
      5. Easier to gang people ( if you play as 2 DD , like 2 Bloodletters)
      Ofc , you can go in Black zones.
      1. But there are content almost only for big groups or very experienced players with doubtful profit
      2. High lvl gatherers , so you can hunt them with "special gear" or gather high Tier resources by your-own
      3. Too high risk to die (direwolf squads are everywhere)
      4. Travel time , when you get nice loots like tomes you are risking much more if we compare to RZ
      5. And much less silver , don't let 25% silver bonus fool you , with Factions you will get 200% more silver.
      So does 25% Fame bonus and Silver bonus worth it, if you play solo or as duo?I don't think so, and it is my subjective opinion.

And now the main question to you @NetCode , what weapon you and your friend would like to play?
      Youtube/Equart

The post was edited 1 time, last by Equartus ().

• @NetCode Any existed weapon in the game got their own efficient setup, depending on your Goals (PvP/PvE and their types). There is no unique builds for everything.

But to be fair , this new random dungeons (they will be 20th of march) allowing players to finish them with almost any builds , they are friendly and it is very good in my opinion. So you can farm them even in PvP oriented setups, just in case of random fights.

Healer setup - this setup is good for healing in PvP and PvE, just take Morgana cape and change W spell sometimes , from Beam(For PvE) to Smite(For PvP) , Or if you will have troubles with mana - take a look on Lymhurst cape. Any Holy Healer , under Morgana buff or scholar robe is able to burst enemy in PvP very fast , believe me - damage is insane and in my opinion a bit broken. Boots it is matter of taste , in my example i took mercenary shoes as an example , because you can take off aggro from mobs instantly ( your can take two type of boots , mercenary for PvE and something else in case of PvP) . This setup is for your friend , very strong and good in small scale fights.
      ---------------

Dagger line is a big enough , each weapon very specific and it needs special build/tactic. So i cant suggest you anything until you tell me what kind of weapon you are going to play.
      Youtube/Equart
    • @NetCode

Equartus pretty much touched down on every aspect. I would slightly disagree (as someone who had spent a lot of time in BZ as a solo) that these group dungeons will be "worth it for a solo" - as they will take you longer, much longer time to complete as a solo and you would have to bring very high tier gear (potentially 7.1 - 8.1) and losing that can cost a lot....

Afterall these dungeons are meant for groups... I mean definitely try it in a duo with a friend, but by the sound of it you guys are fairly new (or being away for a long while might be a bit out of touch with the current OW "meta") in which case you might get ganked a lot and not 100% understand how to avoid being ganked...

So having said that, I would definitely recommend solo/duo farming roaming mobs. You can split and both solo farm the roaming mobs, and might even be able to fight back or warn one another if a gank squad kills one of you (at least the other one might escape, with enough notice)...

Tier7 BZ (undead 1k fame/mob) and tier8 BZ (morgana 1.2k fame/mob) zones are great for roaming mobs, and would be a good place to start getting your fame and spec's back in. You can run it in 6.1 gear and learn both solo/small PVP and solo/small PVP.

I've been doing roaming mobs in t7 BZ (Stonetop Sink) for the past 4-5 months (before taking a break) and it worked out well for fame (can get up to 250-350k fame/hr) and for some solo PVP. I did it for 30min to 1hr a day (length of 1 omelette buff, sometimes 2 omelettes)

Of course if you can mage RDGs as a duo or with some other friends - Im hearing is much beter (like 2x or 3x better) fame then the roaming mobs... but of course that comes with it own issues as I already described...
    • @Captainrussia cmon , its boring now to farm roum mobs and not efficient,since we got this new dungs , if you are at least as two man party. Any heal + dd can farm low tier (5-7 redzone) random dungeons, in my opinion Royals are the best choice for them. They will probably skip some bosses ,but anyway would get higher profit and fun. Plus it is much safer.

Guys just lvl up your builds to Tier 6, take 6.1 items , and go farm duo any T5 Redzone random dungeons.
      Youtube/Equart
    • Equartus wrote:

@Captainrussia cmon , its boring now to farm roum mobs and not efficient,since we got this new dungs , if you are at least as two man party. Any heal + dd can farm low tier (5-7 redzone) random dungeons, in my opinion Royals are the best choice for them. They will probably skip some bosses ,but anyway would get higher profit and fun. Plus it is much safer.

Guys just lvl up your builds to Tier 6, take 6.1 items , and go farm duo any T5 Redzone random dungeons.
      Oh I absolutely agree. Maybe I did not explain myself properly - I got the impression that these guys were new (or well "taken a long break" = not up to date to meta), so maybe they'd need to start out slow with roaming mobs.

NetCode also mentioned playing casually... In comparison - some days personally I can put in 2-3 hrs, some days only 1 hr (so I do 30 min on my main Bloodletter killing roaming mobs, and then 30 min on my Holy healer alt doing roaming mobs). 30 min = 1 omelette

I know that 30 min on each toon is very little, but its better then nothing and you can easily do the adventurer's challenge which gives you even more fame and silver and other rewards. Def worth it and it amazing that Albion gives us an option to play casually and still be able to keep up pretty much. I think DEVs did a great job by implementing Adventurer's challenge and the way they rebalanced fame in OW (looking FWD to more cool things of course).

I mean - if someone can put in 4-6hrs a day - by all means only do RDGs, its definitely the best fame out there ;) Oh and if you're confident enough that you can do them on a good pace (i.e - you're not a newbie)