Question regarding Zerg Mechanic & Amplified AOE damage.

• Question regarding Zerg Mechanic & Amplified AOE damage.

I think its well established that there is a damage reduction buff where if your attacked by a lot of ranged or melee you receive a reduction of damage. Range receives less of a reduction then melee, and there are weapons with penetration to this buff.

This seems like a simple calculation server side as it gives you an actually buff on your health bar to calculate off of.

Now the question is it seems that if an AOE skill hits multiple people that it also gets amplified damage. Akin to a brimstone staff hitting 10+ people and doing a metric ton of damage. So if you would hit 1 person with a brimstone E compared to 10 people you wouldn't be able to kill that 1 person, but you might be able to kill some of the 10 people you hit because of amplified damage?

Assuming the above, how does a weapon like a wailing bow or a spear E calculate? Technically they are AOE, but don't hit there target all in one shot? Does the system have to calculate how many its going to hit before it applies damage to the first target it hits? (then you add a skill like explosive arrows, which would multiply the calculation a TON) Or am I wrong in my assumption that there is no amplified damage the more people you hit?

Thanks
    • Thanks, I guess this helps, I'm assuming when a Brimstone hits the people who may get increased damage % is random as it all hits at once?

So for the wailing bow -

1st person it hits would be 100%
      2nd it passes through it would be 100%
      3rd 110%
      4th 120%
      etc. until 200%

or does it say this wailing hit 10 people and all 10 people should receive 200% damage?

I can see how explosive combined with wailing or ROA caused havoc on servers trying to calculate zerg mechanic....

I wonder if you took out zerg mechanic how much stress it would take away from the server. Trying to calculate how many people you hit before the damage is applied seems very taxing.

It just seems a better system would be that if you get hit by certain skills designated as AOE and if you are in a blob your going to receive more damage no matter how many people it hits would be less taxing

The post was edited 3 times, last by Wadefu ().

• If you have more precisions i invite you to complete the wiki page
      wiki.albiononline.com/wiki/AoE_escalation

As link said the wailing bow is really particular in terms of damages. I'm pretty sure that the AoE escalation is applied on the arrow itself (on top of the spell damage scaling + explosive arrows).
      I don't think that AoE escalation is really important in terms of server use, since it appears in most pvp situations.
      It's also 1 simple calculation, compared to the whole lot of calculations done when damage is dealt.
    • Gugusteh wrote:

I don't think that AoE escalation is really important in terms of server use, since it appears in most pvp situations.
      It's a magnitude calculation though, that's why wailing bow causes lag. That hit literally gets increased AoE escalation on every enemy it passes, same with meatball and AOE's that are not one and done like brimstone.

Think how a blazing would have to hold data for how many people pass through it to escalate the damage. These skills are probably the more taxing on the server then say a Heron spear where you throw it, and its done calculating.

Brings another issue where when you cast a spear Q lunging stab and then if a tank walks into after half a second still takes damage, or the possibility of getting hit twice with a spear Q, if theres something on the server that needs to be optimized.
    • Wadefu wrote:

It's a magnitude calculation though, that's why wailing bow causes lag. That hit literally gets increased AoE escalation on every enemy it passes, same with meatball and AOE's that are not one and done like brimstone.
      Think how a blazing would have to hold data for how many people pass through it to escalate the damage. These skills are probably the more taxing on the server then say a Heron spear where you throw it, and its done calculating.

Brings another issue where when you cast a spear Q lunging stab and then if a tank walks into after half a second still takes damage, or the possibility of getting hit twice with a spear Q, if theres something on the server that needs to be optimized.
      with your logic think about any dot in ZvZ too then
    • Gugusteh wrote:

with your logic think about any dot in ZvZ too then
      a dot is a debuff that applies to your health with a timer... What's that have to do with what I said?

I mean Retro already said the interaction between exploding arrows and wailing caused server lag, my question was how is damage scale in relation to AOE and scaling calculated.

When I shoot a wailing with explode on, lets say it hits 3 people so a 110% increase in damage. If I had explode shot enabled the explode shot would of hit 3 people 3 times plus the wailing bow itself. Now instead of 110% increase in damage is it calculating I hit 10 people with a 1 skill combo or still calculating at 110% instead of 200%

and on top of that when explode runs out and the wailing continues does it continue to hold 200% or does it recalculate after its done?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wadefu ().

• Wadefu wrote:

a dot is a debuff that applies to your health with a timer... What's that have to do with what I said?
      I mean Retro already said the interaction between exploding arrows and wailing caused server lag, my question was how is damage scale in relation to AOE and scaling calculated.

When I shoot a wailing with explode on, lets say it hits 3 people so a 110% increase in damage. If I had explode shot enabled the explode shot would of hit 3 people 3 times plus the wailing bow itself. Now instead of 110% increase in damage is it calculating I hit 10 people with a 1 skill combo or still calculating at 110% instead of 200%

and on top of that when explode runs out and the wailing continues does it continue to hold 200% or does it recalculate after its done?
      DoT damages are recalculated everytime the resistances / buffs / debuffs on the targets change.

For wailing i'm not certain of my following statement but it's the most logical i can find:
      - explosive arrows don't count for wailing damage escalation (2 different spells).
      - wailing continues and the AoE escalation remains with the arrow. So:
      • it hits 3 => gains a bonus,
      • then hits nobody => keeps bonus,
      • then hits 5 => bonus is increased