Adventure Challenges now lack excitement

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Adventure Challenges now lack excitement

Just saw the new adventure challenge bear scheduled to release tomorrow, and I've decided to spill my thoughts on the the AV system. In general, I've enjoyed the prospect of adventurer challenges--this game is built on grinding, and there isn't always a lot of positive reinforcement when developing a character. At the very least, adventurer challenges give one a nod to player consistency. That being said, I find that (1) the ease of meeting each challenge, paired with the (2) 'yet another AV mount' effect as well as (3) lack-luster chest contents has spurred me to lose some interest.

(1) Part of the reason why rewards are not considered special, and why I believe I am receiving an in-game stipend rather than a reward for my efforts is that I can receive the daily point bonus in 10 minutes. I can do a single HCE, hop into a zone for a quick gathering session, or just go kill a few mobs-- something the average player does anyways. I think it would be cool to actually have to earn the reward-- either by completing a list of tasks that take you into the world, faming particular mobs for longer, or something pvp related. This will make the rewards feel more substantial in terms of what it took to acquire them as well as the drop in availability and absence of market saturation.

(2) At first, when the bat was made available, it was viewed a limited and superior game resource. Now that there are more 'limited/superior' AV mounts than I can count, they seem to drop the ball on enticing me to pursue them. If anything, I just happily accept the mount once I acquire it, but along the way I never find myself saying 'I can't wait to get my hands on ______.'. To this, I would like to see things other than mounts be offered as rewards. What about a 'bucket of paint" that allows you to change the color/pattern on one set of gear? Maybe a one-off or even customizable weapon that exceeds at only one thing (super high damage/ super high cc/ super high armor pierce, etc), a new storage container/unique building item for islands, or a hat that gives a 15% gathering bonus to anyone wearing it, etc. I'm just saying, but a little more creative.

(3) I care less about the weekly chests than I do the monthly reward or the 'challenge' of the system, but I still think there is room for improvement here. If we want the weekly chest to be somewhat exciting, I think that loot-pool should be significantly broadened. I'm tired of knowing that I'll get 1-2 luxury items, a small pile of unrefined resources, maybe a tome or low-tier artifact, 100k silver, and 100k fame. There's no surprise to it. And I'm not just saying the loot should be improved on average, rather that 'anything should be possible'; like acquiring a bag with 100 chickens, or a bag with a set of 8.3 mp bolts, or recruitment keys, or a single t4 rune, or ANY item that shows up in the database. Of course, the upper end rewards could be made extremely low-%, but I think that we can de-standardize the process at this point.

Thanks for reading!
      My referral link: https://albiononline.com/?ref=BBEL9TU111
    • You have to remember that the AC is amazing for new players. It may be a subsidy for you, but a single weekly chest represents a huge buff for a newer or casual player.

Making a reward system for players who have played 1 hour and players who have played 100s of hours isn't super easy fun times. They did a pretty good job.

I agree about reward diversification though. The power creep on the challenge mounts is aggressive. The worst one so far was a T6 Stag reskin with a skill on it.

If I was going to make a suggestion about the challenges. I think turning it into a system more like an arcade with tickets, where you can choose your own rewards, would be more interesting. People LOVE that shit so much. Just turn challenge points into a currency and let people pick from a board of rewards. Then players who want more rewards can just keep earning challenge points. Some rewards can only be accepted once a month though, so things don't get super out of hand. Then people feel like they are working towards something, rather than just performing today's quota of work.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
    • Piddle wrote:

You have to remember that the AC is amazing for new players. It may be a subsidy for you, but a single weekly chest represents a huge buff for a newer or casual player.

Making a reward system for players who have played 1 hour and players who have played 100s of hours isn't super easy fun times. They did a pretty good job.
      Exactly.

Interesting idea about the currency/choosing your own rewards though.
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Axe/Sickle/Pickaxe/Skinning/Stone
      T7 Fishing

100/60/70/50 Holy Specs
    • Hey @Meleodus,

Meleodus wrote:

(1) Part of the reason why rewards are not considered special, and why I believe I am receiving an in-game stipend rather than a reward for my efforts is that I can receive the daily point bonus in 10 minutes. I can do a single HCE, hop into a zone for a quick gathering session, or just go kill a few mobs-- something the average player does anyways. I think it would be cool to actually have to earn the reward-- either by completing a list of tasks that take you into the world, faming particular mobs for longer, or something pvp related. This will make the rewards feel more substantial in terms of what it took to acquire them as well as the drop in availability and absence of market saturation.
      We are aware that the challenges can feel pretty easy to some players, I'd like to reference an old response I made regarding this. For this feature, our goal was to make this accessible to every player incl. new players, and so it wasn't possible to make it feel particularly difficult for everyone. (but hopefully somewhat challenging for most)

So pretty much this;

Piddle wrote:

You have to remember that the AC is amazing for new players. It may be a subsidy for you, but a single weekly chest represents a huge buff for a newer or casual player.
      Additionally, when we were designing the Adventurer's Challenge, we were also simultaneously working on the GvG Season rewards, and so it was decided that the Adventurer's Challenge would be the more reachable reward system for everyone, and that GvG Season Rewards would be more of a ''late game challenge''.
      Of course, this is just the backstory and it doesn't solve the issue you have whereby it doesn't feel challenging enough, so we still take that on as feedback, but most likely this would not be addressed by major changes to the current balancing of the Adventurer's Challenge.

Meleodus wrote:

(2) At first, when the bat was made available, it was viewed a limited and superior game resource. Now that there are more 'limited/superior' AV mounts than I can count, they seem to drop the ball on enticing me to pursue them. If anything, I just happily accept the mount once I acquire it, but along the way I never find myself saying 'I can't wait to get my hands on ______.'. To this, I would like to see things other than mounts be offered as rewards. What about a 'bucket of paint" that allows you to change the color/pattern on one set of gear? Maybe a one-off or even customizable weapon that exceeds at only one thing (super high damage/ super high cc/ super high armor pierce, etc), a new storage container/unique building item for islands, or a hat that gives a 15% gathering bonus to anyone wearing it, etc. I'm just saying, but a little more creative.
      We hear ya, in the long term we do want to introduce different rewards than mounts. I have heard tentative ideas from the devs about potential place-able items that have certain abilities which could be used in the Open World, specifically to create a more sandboxy feel... I know that's pretty darn vague, but right now we would be interested to hear more of your ideas. So with your permission, it would be great to use this thread as a place to share more of them which we can pass on to the team!
      Plus, it would be neat if we can continue the trend of suggesting varied ideas (just like you have done here) that are not all tailored to one playstyle, but could be interesting for all different kinds of players.

Meleodus wrote:

(3) I care less about the weekly chests than I do the monthly reward or the 'challenge' of the system, but I still think there is room for improvement here. If we want the weekly chest to be somewhat exciting, I think that loot-pool should be significantly broadened. I'm tired of knowing that I'll get 1-2 luxury items, a small pile of unrefined resources, maybe a tome or low-tier artifact, 100k silver, and 100k fame. There's no surprise to it. And I'm not just saying the loot should be improved on average, rather that 'anything should be possible'; like acquiring a bag with 100 chickens, or a bag with a set of 8.3 mp bolts, or recruitment keys, or a single t4 rune, or ANY item that shows up in the database. Of course, the upper end rewards could be made extremely low-%, but I think that we can de-standardize the process at this point.
      Thanks for reading!
      How do others feel about this? Particularly the extent of which all items would be included, since the more items we add the less likely it would be for you to get something of value, how far should we take that?

You're right, there is always room for improvement, thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback on this and we will be sure to pass it along to the team.

- Evoque
      AlbionOnline | @EJevoque | Evoque#9601
    • Evoque wrote:

Hey @Meleodus,

Meleodus wrote:

We are aware that the challenges can feel pretty easy to some players, I'd like to reference an old response I made regarding this. For this feature, our goal was to make this accessible to every player incl. new players, and so it wasn't possible to make it feel particularly difficult for everyone. (but hopefully somewhat challenging for most)
      So pretty much this;

Piddle wrote:

Additionally, when we were designing the Adventurer's Challenge, we were also simultaneously working on the GvG Season rewards, and so it was decided that the Adventurer's Challenge would be the more reachable reward system for everyone, and that GvG Season Rewards would be more of a ''late game challenge''.Of course, this is just the backstory and it doesn't solve the issue you have whereby it doesn't feel challenging enough, so we still take that on as feedback, but most likely this would not be addressed by major changes to the current balancing of the Adventurer's Challenge.

Meleodus wrote:

We hear ya, in the long term we do want to introduce different rewards than mounts. I have heard tentative ideas from the devs about potential place-able items that have certain abilities which could be used in the Open World, specifically to create a more sandboxy feel... I know that's pretty darn vague, but right now we would be interested to hear more of your ideas. So with your permission, it would be great to use this thread as a place to share more of them which we can pass on to the team!Plus, it would be neat if we can continue the trend of suggesting varied ideas (just like you have done here) that are not all tailored to one playstyle, but could be interesting for all different kinds of players.

Meleodus wrote:

Thanks for reading!
      How do others feel about this? Particularly the extent of which all items would be included, since the more items we add the less likely it would be for you to get something of value, how far should we take that?
      You're right, there is always room for improvement, thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback on this and we will be sure to pass it along to the team.

- Evoque
      I think a broad pool may be useful on some chests, and eventually add different rewards that are not mounts would be good. But my main concern is that the same point generating activities are what we do anyway on a daily basis. I think some challenges that require people to do certain things(within reason) or take part in certain content might be a nice little push in some directions. Crafting, Open World Faming, HCE faming, etc. Or even additional, ACTUAL CHALLENGES like achievements(kill 5,10 players in one battle or smthing)
    • The problem I have with these monthly mounts is that they arent replaceable and thus most people will just ride around in Caerleon. I wish you'd make the grizzly continuously obtainable, that way some people would use it for transports/gathering. The variety of mounts being used in the open world is so small.

I want more mounts that people are willing to risk and the AC mounts are not the answer to that since people know they will just rise in value, also people dont like risking uniques. Sure right now their value might be low enough for people to buy from others and use them out in the open, but in a couple of months from now it wont be worth it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mairwen ().