Hitting Rocks, FOR SCIENCE!

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Hitting Rocks, FOR SCIENCE!

      Howdy folks my name is Sters, for this experiment I am an Expert Quarrier (T5) with premium active. I wanted to get a better understanding of the math behind Gathering Yield and Premium buffs to try and really understand what is going on with the game mechanic.



      So I spent about 45 minutes collecting data like a total nerd in Mardale hitting Granite with a hammer. I was using a T5 Stone Hammer, wearing flat T5 Quarrier’s gathering gear (waited for 10/10/10 stacks) and used up 1.75x Pork Pies - trying my best not to get distracted.



      Nothing too fancy going on with my specialization. 11/100 nets me 5.5% additional yield.



      I gathered from Granite Nodes and Granite Mobs 286 times (286 “gathering hits” - Granite Node or mob has 5/5 “hits”) returning 584 Granite stone. Each hit without premium net me 1x Granite, each Premium Bonus proc another 1x Granite and each Gathering Bonus proc a third 1x Granite.

      142 of those 286 hits I received an extra +1 Granite for “Premium Bonus” representing a 49% chance
      122 of those 286 hits I received an extra +1 Granite for “Gathering Bonus” which amounted to 42% chance

      The best I can tell each of these chance outcomes are independent of one another and it IS just RNG.

      Wearing the Expert’s Quarrier Garb I received - 20% Gathering Yield Buff with 10 stacks on all 3 items, adding in the Pork Pies an additional 15%, and from my specialization another 5.5%.

      • Helm 10 stacks 5%
      • Chest 10 stacks 10%
      • Workboots 10 stacks 5%
      • Pies 15%
      • Specialization 5.5%
      • Total 40.5%
      Conclusions & Observations:

      It looks like Gathering Yield percentage is very accurate. My actual “Gathering Yield” chance was 40.5% and we beat that out today with ~42% in practice. I think it’s fair to say plus or minus 1.5% is very close.

      FACT: Premium Bonus = 50% chance. We have the proof now, the premium bonus for gathering seems to actually be about a 50% chance give or take. My actual results show 49% in this test, so if you feel inclined to ask SBI for a 1% refund you can cite my findings :D (but I think it’s safe to account a margin of error for my smallish sample size)


      Premium Bonus scales better with low yield resources? It seems that premium bonus gives less than a full hit of materials for resources that would give more than 1 item per hit. I would guess the actual math on this is 50% of one full hit rounded down to a whole integer with a minimum of 1 resource material returned. Which seems to make the premium bonus more valuable the higher up the gathering tiers you get, where each hit is typically only 1 material.

      Does enchanted gathering gear effect the yield? From a cursory glance at the tooltips, I would say no. But I didn't gather any data in practice wearing enchanted gather gear yet, so maybe this warrants further tests… TBD

      Does Gathering Bonus have a soft DR? Technically no, from the best I can tell there is no actual hard diminishing returns on the Gathering Bonus chance. BUT if you were going to tell me that you were planning on spending the next year only mining Iron Ore to focus on getting 100 T4 specialization I would say some of that time is wasted.

      100/100 spec gives you a 50% increased Gathering bonus chance on top of the 35% earned totaling around 85% (92.5% with a 7.3 Pork Pie). From my perspective the closer you get to 100/100 spec and that 85% mark, the less valuable those percentage points are in relation to the amount of fame required for the high specialization levels.

      But I guess in theory you could get 100/100 specialization and then still wear your combat gear gathering, which would make you a more effective gatherer than a 0/100 spec player in full Gatherer Gear.

      ---

      Hope this helps someone else with a curiosity for min/maxing like me. If I got anything wrong tear me to shreds, if you want to see any more science let me know.
    • sters wrote:

      Hola, mi nombre es Sters, para este experimento soy un Expert Quarrier (T5) con prima activa. Quería entender mejor las matemáticas detrás de los beneficios de Gathering Yield y Premium para tratar de entender realmente qué está pasando con el mecánico del juego.
      En
      [adjuntar = 12360, ninguno, 148] [/ adjuntar]
      En
      Así que pasé unos 45 minutos recolectando datos como un nerd total en Mardale golpeando a Granite con un martillo. Estaba usando un martillo de piedra T5, usaba el equipo de recolección plano de la cantera T5 (esperé las pilas del 10/10/10) y usé 1.75 x Pork Pies, haciendo todo lo posible por no distraerme.
      En
      [adjuntar = 12361, ninguno, 588] [/ adjuntar]
      En
      Nada demasiado lujoso con mi especialización. 11/100 me da un rendimiento adicional de 5.5%.
      En
      [adjuntar = 12362, ninguno, 384] [/ adjuntar]
      En
      Me reuní 288 veces de Granite Nodes y Granite Mobs (286 "recolectando hits" - Granite Node o mob tiene 5/5 "hits") devolviendo 584 granite stone. Cada golpe sin prima me otorga 1x Granite, cada Premium Bonus proc es otro 1x Granite y cada Gathering Bonus proc es un tercero 1x Granite.
      En
      142 de esos 286 hits recibí un Granito +1 extra por "Bonificación Premium" que representa un 49% de probabilidad
      122 de esos 286 hits recibí un Granito +1 extra por "Bonificación de Recolección" que representó un 42% de probabilidad
      En
      Lo mejor que puedo decir es que cada uno de estos resultados casuales son independientes unos de otros y es solo RNG.
      En
      Al usar el adorno de cantera del Experto, recibí - 20% de recolección de Buff de rendimiento con 10 acumulaciones en los 3 artículos, agregando Pies Pies un 15% adicional, y de mi especialización otro 5.5%.
      En
      • Helm 10 pilas 5%
      • Cofre 10 pilas 10%
      • Workboots 10 pilas 5%
      • Pies 15%
      • Especialización 5.5%
      • Total 40.5%
      Conclusiones y observaciones:
      En
      Parece que el porcentaje de rendimiento de la recolección es muy preciso. Mi oportunidad real de "Ganar rendimiento" fue del 40.5% y hoy la superamos con un 42% en la práctica. Creo que es justo decir que más o menos 1,5% está muy cerca.
      En
      HECHO: Bonificación Premium = 50% de probabilidad. Tenemos la prueba ahora, el bono premium para la reunión parece ser en realidad un 50% de probabilidad de ganar o tomar. Mis resultados reales muestran un 49% en esta prueba, por lo que si se siente inclinado a pedirle a SBI un reembolso del 1%, puede citar mis conclusiones :RE (pero creo que es seguro tener en cuenta un margen de error para mi tamaño de muestra pequeño)
      [adjuntar = 12363, ninguno, 482] [/ adjuntar] [adjuntar = 12364, ninguno, 342] [/ adjuntar]
      En
      ¿El Bono Premium se escala mejor con recursos de bajo rendimiento?Parece que el bono premium ofrece menos de un hit completo de materiales para recursos que darían más de 1 artículo por golpe. Me imagino que el cálculo real es el 50% de un hit completo redondeado a un entero entero con un mínimo de 1 material de recursos devuelto. Lo que parece hacer que el bono premium sea más valioso cuanto más alto sea el nivel de recolección que obtenga, donde cada golpe es generalmente solo 1 material.
      En
      ¿El engranaje de recolección encantado afecta el rendimiento? De un rápido vistazo a la información sobre herramientas, diría que no. Pero no reuní ningún dato en la práctica usando equipo de recolección encantado todavía, así que quizás esto justifique pruebas adicionales ... TBD
      En
      ¿Gathering Bonus tiene un DR suave? Técnicamente no, por lo mejor que puedo decir, no hay rendimientos reales que disminuyan la oportunidad del Bono de Recolección. PERO si me dijera que planeaba gastar el próximo año solo para extraer Mineral de hierro para centrarse en obtener una especialización de 100 T4, diría que parte de ese tiempo se pierde.
      En
      La especificación 100/100 te da un 50% más de probabilidad de bonificación por acumulación además del 35% ganado, que totaliza alrededor del 85% (92.5% con un pastel de carne de cerdo 7.3). Desde mi perspectiva, cuanto más se acerque a las especificaciones 100/100 y al 85%, menos valiosos serán esos puntos porcentuales en relación con la cantidad de fama requerida para los altos niveles de especialización.
      En
      Pero supongo que, en teoría, podrías obtener una especialización de 100/100 y luego seguir usando tu equipo de combate, lo que te convertiría en un recolector más efectivo que un jugador de 0/100 especificaciones en Gatherer Gear completo.
      En
      ---
      En
      Espero que esto ayude a alguien más con una curiosidad por min / maxing como yo. Si tengo algo malo, hazme pedazos, si quieres ver más ciencia, avísame.
      Up the stone gathers!! :thumbsup:
    • Thanks for this post !

      I also have a doubt about the RNG system:
      when you use higher gear, you can reach more than 100% gather bonus yield:
      - sometimes you can get +2 resources from the gather bonus
      - some people experienced a "+0 resource from gathering bonus" with +100% yield.
      I don't really know how the system works but proving that it's actually possible to get +0 would give clues on how the RNG is done.
      I hope it's clear.
    • I'll preface the below by stating that I haven't played since December 2018::

      From my experience, the premium bonus on multi-yield resources would alternate from 3+1 to 3+2. I don't know if the game is calculating 1.5 resources each time and then 'carrying over' the amount onto the next premium bonus, but I have seen it alternate the actual amount so that the "total yield" is equivalent to 50% extra.

      As for a cap, the max possible should be 185% inside of a guild owned territory. 70 from T-8 gathering gear + 50 from specialization + 50 from gathering inside guild territory + 15 from pie. When I leveled my T-6 fiber specialization so that my total yield (with gathering gear) was above 100% I would ALWAYS receive the gathering bonus, and sometimes get a double bonus. I've never seen the "+0 resources" mentioned above.
      I'm pretty sure anything above 100% is just an automatic extra, and then a random RNG roll for the % over 100.

      With any RNG value, there will be slight variances up and down (as you saw the 1.5% in your run) ... however over the long, long haul of numerous runs you should see it get closer and closer to the true percentage.