Dev Update: Hidden Entrances and Randomized Dungeons

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drazhen wrote:

I'm not against zerg content, it's not my favorite kind of gameplay but I'm happy it's a thing in albion, what prevents you to feel the same about solo gameplay?

Now, you're right, I want more preys/gankers, more players in the open worlds is great news to me, what's wrong about it?
      However the fact that you're surprised about solo existence insinuating they should leave the game is not great news, what's good about it?

I agree with you that solo combat related content is poor and when you say it has been like this for two years+ it confirms my opinion; I'd like this to be changed.

The solo content I'd love would be progressive in difficulty:
      - keep the roaming mobs, upgrade x% of them in veteran grade - add some true minibosses (think about actual T8 minibosses difficulty minimum) with some true loot tables.
      - Add some area with groups of veteran mobs guarding chests (such area already exist in some zones but are not really exploited - current small mob camps assets could be also used)
      - Add random soloable dungeons to oberon, make it challenging, let's not hear it's going to come later and forget about it, not again - that promise, I heard it long time ago.

It adds a lot of fame/loot value to low tier zones, it's a great first bz option for new players, they'd give veterans mobs a try and would feel the progression, they may group up with random strangers to clear the harder areas/bosses/random soloable dungeons, now they may become friends or ennemies, history starts here.

It's a natural approach, no rigid rules, no safe instanced stuff that that jails you into a bubble of zero interaction with the world.

What you proposed requires development, that will take some time. I would love them to do that, but that comes at alternative cost of developing something else. So question is what should be our priority list? While boosting solo mobs fame exclusively shouldn't be that hard.

Unfortunately I do agree with tabooshka that solo content is byproduct of the game, but the whole point of MMO games is the first M - massive. Number of diversified types of players create whole ecosystems one affecting another. That's the true beauty about MMO.So the more players play MMO, the better product it is, regardless if players interact directly or only indirectly (e.g. gatherer and gvg player). In the end they both are crucial part of the ecosystem.

So giving players more motivation to leave the caerleon without group and balancing risk vs reward of existing content is IMO very important and poorly executed by SBI so far.

Regarding Zerg > mine > repeat, yeah that's what currently happens with castles. Isn't that a thing already ? Since we have a map adjustment, it shouldn't be possible to defend all the castles by one zerg, why not doing the same with worldbosses ? Why not giving more objectives in the same time that will disallow players to get it all. If there are two big alliances, let them fight for Mercia objective. I'm not saying big objectives, but at least that would balance the risk of bringing 20-30 people to the battlefield... For instance I can't participate in Castle fights because I have a job 9-5. So worldbosses is the last thing that keeps me in game.

Fact is we have plenty of mechanics in game, that are barely not used. Rewards for world bosses on every continent vary from 500k silver up to couple millions.That's why this content is almost uncontested, because at minimum it takes 10 people to do it safely, fight with OX pullers, play around god-damned shark statues (n/c) and then bank safely the loot. While those 10 people could earn like 10times more by doing any other content, like HCE...

So again, if zerg > mine > repeat is bad, then what is good? Staying in caerleon ? Not zerging at all?
    • glokz wrote:

What you proposed requires development, that will take some time. I would love them to do that, but that comes at alternative cost of developing something else. So question is what should be our priority list? While boosting solo mobs fame exclusively shouldn't be that hard.
      I think I'm beeing very reasonable here, what I have in mid would require a tons of dev time :)
      But what I proposed mostly use current/old assets and if some resources are invested for that kind of gameplay, I say it's about damn time.

glokz wrote:

Unfortunately I do agree with tabooshka that solo content is byproduct of the game, but the whole point of MMO games is the first M - massive. Number of diversified types of players create whole ecosystems one affecting another. That's the true beauty about MMO.So the more players play MMO, the better product it is, regardless if players interact directly or only indirectly (e.g. gatherer and gvg player). In the end they both are crucial part of the ecosystem.
      Wise words

The post was edited 1 time, last by Drazhen ().

• Maybe make the solo-version of these instanced.

I know that its cool to hate instanced anything in AO, but some amount of it, HGs for instance, is pretty nice. So make the next version just be a portal for a solo to enter an instance, and then it closes behind them. They still have to ride around looking for these things in red or black zones. It isn't like they aren't putting their gear on the line to find them. So get rid of the biggest risks of the open world solo dungeons and instance it. It's like a little protection bubble solo players can earn by riding around in dangerous areas. If you spend 15 minutes looking for a dungeon entrance you get to spend some time in this little dungeon and be safe, all snuggly in your little bubble.

It also lets the devs create a lot more scenarios for the instance, since they don't need to worry about a bunch of other people wandering through and breaking their mechanics. Like, maybe you find it and its just essentially an expedition. Sure. But, you can also make them into little mini trials or wave fights. Time challenges. All sorts of stuff. Maybe you can see what type of thing it is from outside, so if that one isn't your thing, you just leave it for others. You don't even have to make them all super complicated. You can just make them sort of not a big deal to find, and keep the length of them shorter.

That's one way to balance it some without a huge amount of complicated mechanics to protect 1 lone goon from a brigade of goons.

Maybe even a small 2-5 player instanced version to.

It's carebear like, but its not a 10/10 on the carebear scale. Its like a 3/10. Give the PvE people a bone and just increase traffic in the OW.

They can also act like a little escape hatch for OW fame farmers. You find one on your map and you fame around it, in that hopes that if you get jumped by a group, you can just dip into the instance.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
    • Piddle wrote:

Maybe make the solo-version of these instanced.
      That's the solo version of random dungeon, except I'd rather say "soloable" and make it so 2 players can enter it, then it can be a real challenge while still let the option open to less exp players to clear it with 2, also opens up some 1v1 action.

Piddle wrote:

I know that its cool to hate instanced anything in AO
      Is it? there is a good amount of rational reasons why instances are not welcome, it was not hard to predict the outcome of HCE.

Now some of it, well implemented with possible open world interaction, yeah it can be good in my mind, random dungeons, HG, that's cool stuff
    • Drazhen wrote:

Piddle wrote:

Maybe make the solo-version of these instanced.
      That's the solo version of random dungeon, except I'd rather say "soloable" and make it so 2 players can enter it, then it can be a real challenge while still let the option open to less exp players to clear it with 2, also opens up some 1v1 action.

Piddle wrote:

I know that its cool to hate instanced anything in AO
      Is it? there is a good amount of rational reasons why instances are not welcome, it was not hard to predict the outcome of HCE.
      Now some of it, well implemented with possible open world interaction, yeah it can be good in my mind, random dungeons, HG, that's cool stuff
      Any instanced group activity is horrible for the game...

But instances are the only way to really create pure solo content.
      So, if they gonna add instances for solo content, im pretty sure the mayority of players are going to be ok with it.
    • Folks use the term instanced in all kinds of wacky ways here. Technically everything in this game is instanced. SO...............either instance type content has ways of being integrated that make it non-separate from the game world as a whole and therefore acceptable (I mean come on this should be very obvious) or that if you dislike all types of instances you need to stop playing video games cause thats what most stuff is is instances that are called and banished for use in game. Did you really think they have a t5 horse elf that just makes every t5 horse in game by hand when it matures on someones island?

This content is not closed content that only 1 group has complete access to. This is spaces anyone can enter. Ppl can come and dive you just like any other dungeon. More than 1 solo'er can enter the dungeon. Again....solo does not mean playing by yourself....it just indicates the number of members in your party......other ppl are doing things around you (like trying to kill you or steal your boss). The odds of this are simply reduced due to changing locations.

The exception seems it might be those enchanted dungeons though...

I am wondering more whats up with these maps that access enchanted dungeons. Once you enter these does the entrance remain open so other groups can come in as well? Or is it a truly closed dungeon that only 1 party can enter?
    • Raithe wrote:

Folks use the term instanced in all kinds of wacky ways here. Technically everything in this game is instanced.
      This content is not closed content that only 1 group has complete access to. This is spaces anyone can enter.
      ...solo does not mean playing by yourself...
      You're using a different definition of the word than everyone else. Instanced just means that once the content is initiated, no other players can join (with specific exceptions, like getting another person in an expedition after someone else leaves; HGs on the other hand don't have this exception). In these cases, solo DOES mean playing by yourself. The question is, can that be used positively in the world of Albion?

Personally, I think yes. It allows for new types of content not available otherwise, like mini challenges, and yes, open world dungeons that are safe once you enter. You can easily balance out the benefits with things like reduced rewards, and putting them further away so that traveling to them is less convenient and more dangerous.

The key point is that even if instanced, the entrances to this type of content are still placed in the overworld. This makes sure that people who play this content still interact with the rest of the game, with all the risks and opportunities that entails.

Raithe wrote:

I am wondering more whats up with these maps that access enchanted dungeons. Once you enter these does the entrance remain open so other groups can come in as well? Or is it a truly closed dungeon that only 1 party can enter?
      From the way they talk about it, no, the entrance doesn't close behind you. The map just ensures you're the *first* to enter a dungeon. Not necessarily the last.

Holoin wrote:

instanced group activity is horrible for the game...
      I disagree. Hellgates have been a healthy part of the game for a long time (balancing issues aside). There's no reason we couldn't get something else like it, and have it also be good. Again, this is because doing HGs still requires you to run out into the world, which means running past other players, who you can interact with, even if just by being prepared for unexpected PvP and all that.
    • Raithe wrote:

They answered this already albeit briefly on the website.

If you find a dungeon with a map, it just means your group opened it first. The dungeon will remain in the open world if another group finds it they can enter and follow.
    • the random dgs are really awesome! They really have helped with shorter runs. The length bnb is such that you can easily chunk up time for party members to come and go while keeping a fame farm rolling. The rewards seem quite nice so far and really get ppl wanting to go out.

So far all the dungeons seem a bit linear. They are more like expeditions than dungeons. Will these be expanding to more dungeon like structures? Curious about their future.
    • I think, people only care about RD because:

1. Game goes F2P soon, so everyone wants to get as much overhead as possible
      2. It's a new content, so everyone wants to play with it as its fun
      3. If fame gaining is so easy now, not having 400/400 and playing taking zvz seriously will end up as a disaster

Zones are empty? Can we talk about data not about personal opinion? Do you have anything to prove anything you say?
    • Gugusteh wrote:

Sas3bg wrote:

Well the game was much more alive before this patch mate. All zones empty right now. Nobody care to do nothings isntead of RD before they got nerfed LOL
      I laughed.
      One of the best updates so far! (if not the best).
      I still didn't find all the 4 world bosses but gotta catch em all!
      Where is good that new players get t8 on 12 hour farm. They got bored after that, becouse they dont have a purpose. Reaching t8 was good point before that, but what now. Maxing specs it is not enought for them