Dev Update: Hidden Entrances and Randomized Dungeons

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dev Update: Hidden Entrances and Randomized Dungeons

Hello all,

In a recent Dev Talk, Game Director Robin Henkys [AKA @Eltharyon] gave a brief rundown of some of the new features coming to Albion in 2019. Two major new features, Hidden Entrances and Randomized Dungeons, will be introduced with the Oberon update this spring. In this Dev Update, we give an outline of what these features are, what they are intended to bring to the world of Albion, and what they mean for the future of the game, as well as the current status of the features.

What are Hidden Entrances and Randomized Dungeons?

Hidden Entrances are gateways that spawn at random throughout the open world, in all zones and at all times. Their frequency is such that a party of five should be able to find an entrance readily enough. Though their location is not revealed on the minimap, they are accessible to all players for as long as they remain open, meaning multiple parties can enter at one time.

Within these discoverable portals are Randomized Dungeons. These dungeons are created procedurally based on numerous parameters, influencing everything from mob type to room and corridor layout to bosses and loot.

Each dungeon will only last for a limited time, and will begin to lose stability before closing. The transitive nature of these dungeons provides an incentive to find them quickly - not only to claim the loot within, but also to avoid being transported back to the overworld along with any hostile players within.

What are the goals of these features?

These features bring an entirely new source of open-world PvE to the world of Albion. The unpredictable nature of both Hidden Entrances and the Randomized Dungeons they conceal makes them a much more varied experience than anything previously seen in the game, falling somewhere between the safe fame-farming of Expeditions and the high-risk PvP of static dungeons. The dungeons introduced with the Oberon update will be for a five-person group, but soloable dungeons and other types of content will be introduced with later updates.

While Randomized Dungeons, at launch, will mostly feature known factions and mobs, these will be reworked and optimized, and some new enemies will be introduced to the game as well. In the long run, the combination of Hidden Entrances and Randomized Dungeons will give us a platform for introducing entirely new types of PvE content into the game, including entirely new mobs, dungeons, and experiences.

Here's a quick rundown on the current state of Hidden Entrances and Randomized Dungeons:
      • Both features are already working code-wise (randomized generation of dungeon layouts and placement of Hidden Entrances in the world)
      • Game design is currently balancing mobs and loot levels to provide a rewarding player experience
      • Level design and art are creating the necessary connectors and highlights for each dungeon type
      • Heretic and Morgana dungeons are finished, and Keeper dungeons are underway
      • Game design and QA are performing regular internal playtests to iterate on dungeon progress

We'll have much more info on these features in our forthcoming series of Dev Talks, so stay tuned!

1) Focus on 5 man content is not the biggest thing that the game currently lacks.
      If you have 5 man, you have access to the entire game.

If you are one or 2 or 3 you have the issue.

So please consider to create the content for solo or small party first and later add the 21. thing you can do as 5 man group?

2)The portal stays open and additional parties can enter...
      Do i get that right, and i can also enter as 20 man, i just split in 4x 5 man group?
      Is that prevented?

3) Dungeon collapses and then all stay same place open world
      You truely hate solo players? right? if i go in solo, and can run away or kite a party if dungeon poofs, then i am screwed?

4) It seems that there is just one entrance, my understanding was, that is an issue at the moment and the people hope for multiple entrances

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hollywoodi ().

• Hidden entrances do three things differently:

They appear randomly in the open world.
      They are not shown on the cluster map or mini map.
      They disappear after a certain time.

In all other aspects they behave just like normal dungeon entrances.
      This means you can't enter while mounted.
      It doesn't matter if you try to enter by yourself or with a zerg of 100+ players.

Right now randomized dungeons you can find behind those entrances contain group mobs (veterans).
      Those are balanced to be a slight challenge for 5 player groups of the same tier and reaver unlock.

Though from my experience most veteran content can be done with less than 5 players.

Edit:

Hollywoodi wrote:

The setup we plan to use right now is that as long as a player can be found in the dungeon it will collapse at down time.
      It will collapse faster when no player can found inside any longer for new dungeons to appear since there will be no re-spawn in those dungeons.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Thorn-Delwyn ().

• It would be nice to see the focus be anything other than 5+ person groups. There really is enough of that. 5+ person groups have the entire game.

It would also be nice if when these are released that the leashing mechanics were reverted back to the old system. This new mechanic has destroyed what was left of small group and solo.
    • Thorn-Delwyn wrote:

Hidden entrances do three things differently:

They appear randomly in the open world.
      They are not shown on the cluster map or mini map.
      They disappear after a certain time.

In all other aspects they behave just like normal dungeon entrances.
      This means you can't enter while mounted.
      It doesn't matter if you try to enter by yourself or with a zerg of 100+ players.

Right now randomized dungeons you can find behind those entrances contain group mobs (veterans).
      Those are balanced to be a slight challenge for 5 player groups of the same tier and reaver unlock.

Though from my experience most veteran content can be done with less than 5 players.

Edit:

Hollywoodi wrote:

The setup we plan to use right now is that as long as a player can be found in the dungeon it will collapse at down time.It will collapse faster when no player can found inside any longer for new dungeons to appear since there will be no re-spawn in those dungeons.
      Well, we have hoped for non zergable content. I would have been very happy, if players could enter through different entries, and at one entire max 5 or max 1 be it 1 man or 5 man dungeon...

There is enough zerg content in the game....some experience that cannot be zerged but done by skill would be apprecited...

If you e.g. give Random 1 to 5 random spam entrances in the world, and player have different start locations...and it stays open until 5 are inper entrance or time is out ..that would be the desired feature...
    • This update looks awesome! I'm so excited to try out these new dungeons :) Thank you Devs!!!

Please also consider adding new mobs and mob types! Not just new dungeon layouts! Sometimes the PvE in this game gets really stale. Addressing the copy-pasted nature of blue dungeons is really important! Each dungeon should be unique! Now that there will be lots of dynamic 5(ish) man dungeons, consider making some of the static dungeons more challenging for larger groups and the solo dungeons need to be more challenging and rewarding as well.

For the people worried about zerg content: I fully expect this content to be super zergy for the first week or so it is out because everyone will be trying it. However, after the excitement has died down these randomized dungeons will work to reduce the chances of getting dove by spreading out fame locations. This will make all dungeons safer. That being said, the great thing about OW content is that you never know what you're going to get. Will you be 5 fighting 3? or 7? or 13? If you want to be safe, do HCE. If you want fair fights and fame, do HG.