A way to make gathering journals more popular: Allow trophies to be studied for gathering fame.

    • A way to make gathering journals more popular: Allow trophies to be studied for gathering fame.

      A fact is that gathering journals are severly underused.

      One potential sollotion to make the journal feature of the game more known and more popular is the following:

      Instead of the normal journal that will give you resources when filled and processed by a laborer, how about a journal that once filled and then processed by the laborer will give you a special book that is tradeable and when consumed will bost your gathering fame, similar to a Tome of Insight. (ofc node and type specifc)

      Alternatively you could just allow trophies to be studied for gathering fame.

      @Korn @Eltharyon :)

      edit: Thinking this further, "Trophy" journals could just bring back the ingredient (like a fox pelt or bonsai sapling) and you then can chose to consume it for gathering fame or take it to the toolmaker to combine it with <trophy resource> into a trophy you can place into your house.

      It would work similar to how you can consume fish.

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Bogul ().

    • A backup purpose for all trophies would be great. Trade enabled gathering fame makes me nervous, but we have trade enabled fame for almost everything else already.

      I feel like the general trophies, specifically, need a release valve. They pile up everywhere. Even letting people study/use them for less than the fame put into the journal would be a major improvement. Nerf the 100% return rate to 50% trophy chance?
      Discord: Piddle#7413
    • Midgard wrote:

      I’m against anything that in effect allows you to buy gatherring fame for silver (and therefore buy it with RL cash)
      I can see that consideration, but we already gave up this with tome of insights for pve fame and stuying for crafting ; I am not sure if gathering fame deserves to be the only exception.

      Why is it different than pve or crafting fame?
    • Bogul wrote:

      Midgard wrote:

      I’m against anything that in effect allows you to buy gatherring fame for silver (and therefore buy it with RL cash)
      I can see that consideration, but we already gave up this with tome of insights for pve fame and stuying for crafting ; I am not sure if gathering fame deserves to be the only exception.
      Why is it different than pve or crafting fame?
      I agree. They should be the same. Tomes and studying should be removed. Buying fame, for silver and therefore do-able with RL cash should not be a part of the game. It’s a cop out and devalues people’s achievements. .

      Gatherers currently, above any other profession can at least hold their heads high and we have all earned our skills through gameplay and nothing else. Just because the devs have fucked up two things doesn’t mean fucking up a third one is the right thing to do.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Interesting idea!

      Maybe you should use the book and some resources to get the fame... Dunno. I just feel there needs to be resource cost attached as well...

      Or when "crafting" the book, you need to spend the resources, maybe....

      Just grind -> book -> profit seems too easy.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Ravenar ().

    • Midgard wrote:

      Bogul wrote:

      Midgard wrote:

      I’m against anything that in effect allows you to buy gatherring fame for silver (and therefore buy it with RL cash)
      I can see that consideration, but we already gave up this with tome of insights for pve fame and stuying for crafting ; I am not sure if gathering fame deserves to be the only exception.Why is it different than pve or crafting fame?
      I agree. They should be the same. Tomes and studying should be removed. Buying fame, for silver and therefore do-able with RL cash should not be a part of the game. It’s a cop out and devalues people’s achievements. .
      Gatherers currently, above any other profession can at least hold their heads high and we have all earned our skills through gameplay and nothing else. Just because the devs have fucked up two things doesn’t mean fucking up a third one is the right thing to do.
      You do realize that we can level up gathering with RL cash already, right?

      Learning points = real life cash. It's just accumulated in a different way than tomes.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • Stravanov wrote:

      Midgard wrote:

      Bogul wrote:

      Midgard wrote:

      I’m against anything that in effect allows you to buy gatherring fame for silver (and therefore buy it with RL cash)
      I can see that consideration, but we already gave up this with tome of insights for pve fame and stuying for crafting ; I am not sure if gathering fame deserves to be the only exception.Why is it different than pve or crafting fame?
      I agree. They should be the same. Tomes and studying should be removed. Buying fame, for silver and therefore do-able with RL cash should not be a part of the game. It’s a cop out and devalues people’s achievements. .Gatherers currently, above any other profession can at least hold their heads high and we have all earned our skills through gameplay and nothing else. Just because the devs have fucked up two things doesn’t mean fucking up a third one is the right thing to do.
      You do realize that we can level up gathering with RL cash already, right?
      Learning points = real life cash. It's just accumulated in a different way than tomes.
      Not the same. With LP you still need to gain fame to at least 20%, and no matter how much cash you have you cannot buy further LP. The complete opposite applies to tomes, on both points.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

      Stravanov wrote:

      Midgard wrote:

      Bogul wrote:

      Midgard wrote:

      I’m against anything that in effect allows you to buy gatherring fame for silver (and therefore buy it with RL cash)
      I can see that consideration, but we already gave up this with tome of insights for pve fame and stuying for crafting ; I am not sure if gathering fame deserves to be the only exception.Why is it different than pve or crafting fame?
      I agree. They should be the same. Tomes and studying should be removed. Buying fame, for silver and therefore do-able with RL cash should not be a part of the game. It’s a cop out and devalues people’s achievements. .Gatherers currently, above any other profession can at least hold their heads high and we have all earned our skills through gameplay and nothing else. Just because the devs have fucked up two things doesn’t mean fucking up a third one is the right thing to do.
      You do realize that we can level up gathering with RL cash already, right?Learning points = real life cash. It's just accumulated in a different way than tomes.
      Not the same. With LP you still need to gain fame to at least 20%, and no matter how much cash you have you cannot buy further LP. The complete opposite applies to tomes, on both points.
      It's the same.

      But the degree to which it's applied is different.

      I feel like you're crusading on a subject based on what the game looked like just after launch.

      If a gatherer can convert some of his gains into "gathering tomes" that another player can buy with RL cash, it doesn't bother me too much. The player is buying another player's time. He's not buying fame out of thin air.

      On top of that, gathering is simply retarded the way it is now. In order to get T6 gathering, I have to grind for hours on end at a horribly low income rate. This is one of the main reasons why low end mats are worth next to nothing: We are forced to further flood an already oversaturated market with lowend materials.
      In the ideal world, this problem was fixed with proper balance. But it's too little too late for a systemic change to fix this issue.

      Usually I dislike games where players can buy everything with a credit card. But in Albion Online, it doesn't really matter if someone buys max tier gear or fame. He (or his GvG team) will still have to depend on skill to not lose it all. So for this game specifically, I don't mind if some rich kid dumps 1000$ to get ahead fast.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • Bogul wrote:

      I feel like we have come to terms with pve fame beeing moveable through tomes and gathering fame would not make a difference.

      So I don't share your concern of taking a last stand and making gathering fame exclusive. I'd love to hear a dev opinion though.
      RIght now Tome of Insight is 10k of PvE fame, right? A while back, I did some spreasheeting and if I remeber correctly, it's equal to just about to one solo T5 expedition. So 8-10 minute passive grind watching tv or paying 100k for a tome, or whatever they sell for right now.

      The math should be similar to the gathering tomes. You can use a tome or go to yellow and grind for 10 minutes. Yes, safe-zones.

      Then, sure. Why not add it? It will work as a silver sink but only people with masses of silver or real life cash will use it excessively. Let 'em.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • Ravenar wrote:

      Bogul wrote:

      I feel like we have come to terms with pve fame beeing moveable through tomes and gathering fame would not make a difference.

      So I don't share your concern of taking a last stand and making gathering fame exclusive. I'd love to hear a dev opinion though.
      RIght now Tome of Insight is 10k of PvE fame, right? A while back, I did some spreasheeting and if I remeber correctly, it's equal to just about to one solo T5 expedition. So 8-10 minute passive grind watching tv or paying 100k for a tome, or whatever they sell for right now.
      The math should be similar to the gathering tomes. You can use a tome or go to yellow and grind for 10 minutes. Yes, safe-zones.

      Then, sure. Why not add it? It will work as a silver sink but only people with masses of silver or real life cash will use it excessively. Let 'em.
      It won't be a silver sink, since the silver is given to another player, and not destroyed.

      The only "sink" aspect is the fee that the AH takes.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • One way to make Labourers and gathering journals more popular would be to fix the damn code already:
      Workers
      "Every laborer is eating the bonus of each special trophy even tho they are not benefiting of it."
      Is this still true?

      Also, make the descriptions more easy to understand.

      Also make it so that we do not need each trophy from T2-T8 but instead we could replace the previous by higher one? So the damn houses are not so damn packed full like a hoarder's house.
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion
    • I've got mixed feelings about this idea and personally wouldn't go this way to make any improvements. But what would you say is the problem here, journals or gathering itself? Journals and labourer feature could use some dev love, not sure how tho since it's supposed to be just a nice little bonus on top of your grind, while turning them into famebooks is huge of a change and could possibly encourage journal farming in safer areas.

      I'd agree tho gathering is very grindy and could be improved since it's also the only activity (maybe with farming as an exception) where you cannot really boost it in any way like crafting or PvE. Had an idea that would address some of current issues with gathering and resource economy, similar to crafting study, where you could "study" a resource node instead of gathering it, which would grant higher amount of gathering fame but destroy the resources in the process, so you could boost your gathering if you really wanted to without flooding the market with resources you gathered just to level up gathering.