Bodyblock

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hello,

i think it might be interesting to have an item (probably melee weapon E) with this skill:
      short version: turns u in a rock

long version:
      upon activation ure purged of everything (even unpurgable buffs)
      ure immune to heals and all ally casts
      all ur skills are deactivated for the duration (except Q maybe)
      hp increased by 400% - 500%, resistances increased by a lot (basically u take dmg like u had a big zerg buff)
      ure rendered immobile, cant be cced or displaced
      ur character model turns in terrain/becomes unpassable (size to be determined)
      duration to be determined (maybe 5 - 6s)

usage: cut off enemy backline/escape routes/create new small deadends etc.

alternatively a melee weapon E that causes u to bodyblock and lets u move (but w/o increased hp, resistances etc.)

i just think bodyblock is an interesting concept :)

edit2: stravanov helped me realize a few further aspects of the bodyblock concept
      - the skill would be unpurgable
      - the first suggestions version could cause line of sight

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kayl ().

• We already have many of these types of abilities.

Fire Wall
      Wind Wall
      The aoe fear from some cloth armor (can't remember the name)

It wouldn't be something new to the game at all.

The reason why we they're not focused on bodyblocking is lag. In order to use body blocking sufficiently, you need extremely low lag. This can't be accomplished in a worldwide game as Albion Online. That's why these types of abilities are usually not centered around the character's body.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • Stravanov wrote:

We already have many of these types of abilities.

Fire Wall
      Wind Wall
      The aoe fear from some cloth armor (can't remember the name)

It wouldn't be something new to the game at all.

The reason why we they're not focused on bodyblocking is lag. In order to use body blocking sufficiently, you need extremely low lag. This can't be accomplished in a worldwide game as Albion Online. That's why these types of abilities are usually not centered around the character's body.
      i dont want to be mean but pls dont post if u dont understand what ure referring to ...
      since when can u knight helmet trough "terrain obstacles"? since when can u blink etc. through "terrain obstacles"?
      this new ability would be unpurgable (didnt specifiy this fact, given) so ur comparison to fiend robe is invalid too ...

now to ur perception of bodyblock not being focused on bc of lag.
      - first to use any skill shot sufficiently u need low lag (or prediction, ok vs bad players, harder vs better ones obviously), btw my first suggestion is not a skill shot but a skill that can be used with noticeable lag, second one is similar ...
      - (not round based) mmos with bodyblock do exist
      - fiend robe is centered around the characters body and actually works like a purgable enhanced and "active" version of bodyblock (but is way more, so no, we dont already have bodyblock) -> btw. bodyblock could cause line of sight too ;)

and does every build have to playable with heavy lag?
      why do u think do some ppl refrain from playing tank in zvz? not bc nobody wants to, some simply cant bc they lag too much.
      does this mean tanks have to be removed from the game?
      same for healer and tank in ff
      some spells with cast times of <1s are basically uninterruptable at certain times of the day for EU players ... you have to assume the time for ur interrupt based on the enemies most likely rotation (or just use it for casts of minor importance but with longer cast times) ...

if ur connection doesnt allow a certain playstyle/build u simply dont choose it or accept the hardships
      -> u might object in that case devs shouldnt focus on such skill/playstyles at all and better release the next target-locked Q-spam thing ...
      u could have a point but the game became stale :)
    • I think player collisions that allow players to be physical impediments in this way would cause lag on the server end (if I understand the point correctly). I imagine if everyone used this type of skill or if this was occurring at all times it would cause lag. I don't know that it would be terrible if it was instantiating this when only some are using the spell though.

It would really be a something a developer would need to respond too likely as a unity developer would be a lot more suited to speaking to this. I personally am just guessing based on a limited understanding.
    • I'm getting the impression that we won't be having a constructive conversation. I'm usually pretty good at judging this.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just saying it's not something new and spectacular to the game.

The role that you want to be able to fill with this ability is already filled by many weapons/armors. It's a super niche role too. So this weapon that you're proposing will have pretty limited use.

I think everybody would prefer a tank with an Icicle Staff and a Knight Armor to fill this role, in stead of the new weapon you're suggesting. Obviously Frozen Hell and Wind Wall doesn't "hard block" the enemy players like your suggested skill does, since you can still blink out of it (Frozen Hell) or Knight Helm it (Wind Wall). But I can't really imagine any situation where anyone would rather bring your proposed weapon rather than an Icicle Staff.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • Kayl wrote:

Stravanov wrote:

The role that you want to be able to fill with this ability is already filled by many weapons/armors. [...]

[...] tank with an Icicle Staff and a Knight Armor to fill this role [...]
      full build vs 1 weapon E besides the mechanical differencesbut since u wanna spare me the hassle of refuting u we can leave it at this :)
      Did you try to say "1v1 build" ?

Your reply makes no sense to me. Please try to put full sentences together so it's comprehensible.
    • The concepts neat. It’s just very very specific. Like I can’t see 1 of these being effective. Maybe like 3+ coordinated could actually block enough real estate to matter. I think you’d run into party composition issues in that case. But that’s another thing entirely.

would be neat, it’s prolly end up like support arcane where no one bothers tiering it up if the spells don’t rly scale.

I also abhor concepts that introduce yet ANOTHER exception to the rules “it can purge thru Unpurgeable spells” ?( That’s extra mud in the water.

what’s the counterplay to this spell? you can cleanse from stuns, Knights thru soulscythe windwalls, firewalls. Like ixxxo said
    • Fusionbomb wrote:

he's saying that you're describing an entire build that has the same functionality as the single E ability he wants
      nope, entire build has way more usages and options than one "transformation"

owensssss wrote:

The concepts neat. It’s just very very specific. Like I can’t see 1 of these being effective. Maybe like 3+ coordinated could actually block enough real estate to matter. I think you’d run into party composition issues in that case. But that’s another thing entirely.

would be neat, it’s prolly end up like support arcane where no one bothers tiering it up if the spells don’t rly scale.

I also abhor concepts that introduce yet ANOTHER exception to the rules “it can purge thru Unpurgeable spells” ?( That’s extra mud in the water.

what’s the counterplay to this spell? you can cleanse from stuns, Knights thru soulscythe windwalls, firewalls. Like ixxxo said

reason for selfpurge!!! of everything, even unpurgable, being to avoid combinations of buffs resulting in too strong outcome
      as for the counterplay, paying attention to likely future positioning (like "what will our and the enemies positions probably be in the next few seconds?")

again, what does the skill actually do?
      1 player is taken out of the game for a few seconds, a terrain change occurs on his previous position changing possible pathing (walking, porting etc.). this "magic" is ended either by waiting for the spell effect to end or being previously ended either voluntarily by the player or forcefully by heavy dmg (hence hp-buff and resi-buff)
      so, yes, as i see it it would mostly be a question of positioning
      besides when i introduced the idea i wasnt so zergfocused like apparently everyone else in here
      yes, in open field fights the skill sucks
      but think about e.g. 15 vs 15 in dungeons -> u need a suitable environment for the skill to be effective
    • Kayl wrote:

Fusionbomb wrote:

he's saying that you're describing an entire build that has the same functionality as the single E ability he wants
      nope, entire build has way more usages and options than one "
      Way more being... What other usages are there for this skill besides to trap enemies from engaging or retreating. Also care to elaborate on how one would counterplay this skill? Just “look out” doesn’t cut it as that applies to literally every skill

The post was edited 1 time, last by owensssss ().

• owensssss wrote:

Kayl wrote:

Fusionbomb wrote:

nope, entire build has way more usages and options than one "
      Way more being... What other usages are there for this skill besides to trap enemies from engaging or retreating. Also care to elaborate on how one would counterplay this skill? Just “look out” doesn’t cut it as that applies to literally every skill
      oh boy ... how come most active ppl on this forum are unable to understand simple sentences? "entire build" refers to - guess what? - the entire build stravanov mentioned, not a single ability (how would that be an entire build, hu?)
      just the type who plays mmorpgs i guess :)